1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NBS Serpentine Belt

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Been getting that hissing belt noise so I picked up a new serpentine belt and put it on. Checked all the idler pulleys and they all spun freely, so I don't think I've got a spun bearing. Noise is still there...I just found out there is a second belt behind the serpentine belt and a couple quick blasts with belt dressing quiets the noise right away, so that belt needs to be replaced...the question is...how do I do that? Seems reasonable to take off the front belt to get at it, but it almost can't even be seen from under the hood, much less accessed to R&R. Do I need to take off the skid plates and go from underneath?

Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the lower skidplate and go in through the bottom, much much easier that way. Also be sure to check the bearing in that tensioner as well, they wear quicker since they're located closer to the road grime and spray.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

And the tensioner works the same way the serpentine belt does, right? Spring loaded arm, use a socket and pull on it to remove the belt, same to install new?

You mean the skid plate right under the radiator, right?

Thanks B&B!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct on both accounts. A few bolts, remove the skid plate below the rad and you'll see the tensioner. But instead of a socket it (the tensioner) will only require a 3/8 drive ratchet as it has a square cut hole in the tensioner arm itself to accept the ratchet. You'll find a short extension helps get around the cooler lines as well.