1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NBS Fornt End Lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, May 25, 2010.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Well the T-bard are cranked just about to the stops and my front end just seems to be saggy. Time for new T-Bars (not even sure if they wear out like a conventional coil spring, but logic tells me that any piece of metal that flexes will eventually lose some of its return flex), or just a simepl front end lift kit. I've always wanted to level the thing off anyway, so whats that, a 2-3" lift? how is that accomplished? New T-bar end keys or something else?

Once I get it leveled off I suppose I'll need to do something to the plowframe in order to even it up. I bought it used and its always been off anyways...I can't put it on my truck unless I store it on a pallet, lift chain seems to be too short to allow the headgear to lock the pushplates in if the plow isn't 3" or so off the ground...I'm guessing this is an adjustment that I've just never done.

Looking for the lowest cost solution. My wages are $10k/yr lower than a year ago...but at least I'm working again.

2. mayhem

from Peru MA

Did some searching.

http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=249816572

Guessing this is more or less what I'm looking at, right? A new set of torsion bar keys to raise the front end and either relocate the shock mounts or buy extneded length shocks?

Rides pretty rought right now, even though its not super bouncy (did the bumper test)...maybe time for new shocks anyways?

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If your bars are already maxed out, then I don't think a torsion key leveling kit would be worth a darn. Sounds like they are tired and could possibly stand to be replaced. Some new shocks might help too.

4. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

If your hitting the upper bumpstops then new keys will do nothing for you. The only way to get more height is a cognito kit, which is actually a new upper control arm, which moves the upper bumpstop to acheive more height, however it's like $450.00.

Either way if cranked up your bars alot and you didnt change to extended shocks or put a shock extender on, then you should, to prevent shocks from overextending, which prohibits lift and gives a little worse ride. Here is link to the shock extenders, which is the cheap route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330408686891&viewitem=

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

When you say hitting the upper bumpstops, do you mean bottoming out, as in my front end compresses to the maximum easily? That isn't happening, hardly even happens when I'm carrying my plow down the road...its just really low and I've done 8-9 full turns on the torsion bar adjustment bolts. The shock mounts could explain the lousy ride though.

I'll take a photo in the morning of the stance.

6. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Here is a picture of the upper bumpstop. The upper bumpstop is where they installed the little black rubber absorber. Stock there is no rubber, it will be metal to metal if they make contact.

129_0801_02_z+2002_gmc_2500hd_leveling+bumpstop_brackets.jpg

129_0801_02_z+2002_gmc_2500hd_leveling+bumpstop_brackets.jpg

7. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. mayhem

from Peru MA

Is it the upper bumpstop where a Timbren would go? In any event, unless I'm loaded with the plow and no ballast and travelling down a rough road, I'm not experiencing any sharp impacts, nor is my suspension running out of travel so I don't think I'm hitting the bumpstops.

Snapped a pic of my truck this morning. This is with the torsion adjuster bolts basically maxed out and a fresh alignment done. Doesn't look as bad here as I think it does most of the time, but the front end is definitely significantly lower than the rear...maybe much ado about nothing? Extend the shock mounts to smooth out the ride and call it a day? I'd much rather it be level, but proper function and low cost are the buzzwords of the day.

Can a simple physical inspection tell me if I need to extend the shock mounts?

IMG00074-20100526-0707.jpg

9. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

The Timbren goes on the lower bump stop to help prevent sag when weight (ie plow) is on the front end. The shock extenders would help if it is the shock which is preventing the front from being cranked up any higher, meaning the shock is at it's maximum extension, preventing the torsion bars from forcing the truck up higher.

What you could do is mark one of the shocks as the vehicle sits and then jack it up from the frame and see if you get any more extension out of the shock. If you are getting more extension out of the shock, then I would suggest getting new torsion keys and the shock extenders, which you can find both for around $100 if you really look.

10. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I will never understand why they changed the body style in 2003. They came up with a beautiful truck with the 1999 Silverado and slowly ruined it throughout the rest of the decade.

11. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

you are going to want to go and buy new torsion bars, it your current ones are all the way adjusted and it still has that much rake they are "tired".

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. My truck is completely level and have 10 turns left on my bars and I have plenty of shock left. Has been the same story on my 01 as well as my 04. No need to change shocks unless u are going beyond level. Ur bars are weak and should be replaced I would also go up a bar or 2 according to what code urs are now.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  13. mayhem

from Peru MA

Are 2500HD bars a direct fit?

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

All bars are the same fit from 88-current, all sizes.