1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

national service providers claim another one

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Nov 4, 2011.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

got a call today from our local area director of bob evans effective on wednesday there going to use brickman for all 550 locations. local management is pissed and cant do anything about it. anybody know what there doing it for? according to the managers at my locations they dont know a whole lot on whats going to take place.

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

well a lot of people will be getting screwed out of money!!!

3. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

I saw brickman sitting at the local lowes a few weeks ago so they are in the area.

4. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

They can have the ones in Columbus. I did those years ago. They were a plow only with a 4" trigger and you were lucky to get $65 an hour out of one of them.

5. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

I serviced my local A and P for over five years. The local managers were always pleased with our service and so was our corporate contact. For this winter "corporate" contracted with USM. USM called me and called me and called me a couple months ago- I wont work for a national esp USM. Guess what happened a day before the last storm? My client called and explained they had to let USM go because they could not provide service for more than half of the sites. They asked me to take the contract back and provide service immediately.

I did they same thing when Brickman FS took my two Lowes accounts. No one showed up to service the sites. I explained to Lowes I would help them out that year as long as they contracted with me directly again the following season. In that case Lowes never kept their word and Brickman still does the sites, very poorly.

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Got emailed from agmg I believe about bidding on bob evans sites pretty recently as well. I will never work for a ntl, they ruin our industry

7. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i was the highest bidder on my bob evans that i did, one inch trigger plow before there open, before lunch before dinner and again the next morning if needed. salt on my discretion, all my stores were very saisified and even tried to get a seperate contract for our area to keep me. we shall see what happens.

8. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

the difference between brickman and other nationals is that they can do ALL of there own accounts with there own equipment as well they don't need subs but it is more convenient.

9. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Brickman and Brickman FS are two seperate companies and differently run. Brickman MAY be able to do all of their own but for some reason I doubt it. Brickman FS is run like a national and they couldnt do one account, FS has thousands of accounts and no equipment. They are a paper company, "national".

10. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

BFS got a large retailer here this year. They had been calling a bunch of us, wanting us to take the store for 1/4 of what it went for 2 years ago. For weeks everyone they talked to told them no. I was hoping no one would work for them, but finally someone took the account. How nice it would be, if everyone simply refused to work for them. Its hard for most of us to take an income hit, even temporarily, but if it would help to get rid of the nationals, it would be well worth it.

11. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I love living in a small town. I know I don't make as much as you guys in bigger markets but I also don't have to deal with the national companies because they are to far away to come here! Thank God!!! Now if I could only get rid of the guys with no insurance and only accept cash I would have it made!

12. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

We found out working for Brickman or USM is a joke this has been talked to death before
    so in closing if you can work for peanuts and wait 3 months for your money then all
    power to you, (me) on the other hand if I'm lossing sleep it better be for a good reason.

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a good friend that works for Brickman (use to work for us) he is now a district manager and we keep in touch. They have a "Snow Manager" that coordinates all snow plowing services based on the needs of the local shops needs. This year is bid low on plowing to get the customer and go "Hi" on de-icing.... it should off set and become profit.

SOOOoooo bid low on push and take your best shot on deicing services,,,, dont forget hand labor !

14. youngbuck

youngbuck Junior Member
    from ohio

i know who the sub is for brickman and he is subing 11 of them out to another company here

15. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

whats the point in being a sub for the sub for a property when the contractor is the national.? at the end of the day isnt it just easier to get your own work and not work for peanuts? i guesse ill never understand the point in paying a national so many hundreds of thousands of dollars then it is subbed out to a guy for say 20k less then subbed out to another guy for 20k less and so on, by the end of the subbing that client is paying so much to the national and only getting half the amount of service there paying for. it will be a cold day in hell when i or my company works as the third or fourth string sub contractor.

16. lbfmd

lbfmd Member

brickman could not service there locations, they may have enough trucks (not plows but could by them) but dont forget 60% of there labor force goes home in the winter.

17. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Kudos to you guys for standing up to the big national companies. It's a shame the impact that they have on us and how tough they are making for the industry and the ACTUAL people that are doing the work.

18. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i just dont see how you would want to beat ur equipment into the ground working as the third or fourth string on an account. if you need to sub to a sub and then that sub needs to sub it out what is the point?