1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

National Maintenance Systems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColumbiaLand, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Has anyone here ever worked for National Maintenance Systems out of Rhode Island?. I was asked to bid some properties for next year. Looking for feedback on the company.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

All nationals are the same. Slow pay, little pay, and all liability. Bid if you dare!!

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Collin,
    I havn't heard of them but ask them for a copy of their contract for you to review before putting all that time and effort into a bid. If they're a legit company, with nothing to hide, they should be able to email the contract with no questions asked..... Thats what I do anyway... my time is way more important then figuring out bids with nationals only to find out you've won the bid, but cant agree on the contract language.....

Good Luck
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

National maintenance systems is a joke. Do a search on them. There is a thread. I bid a few sites for them and they wanted them done for nothing. I bid a kohls for $40K and they came back with $17K as there figure. Everything I bid for them was double what they where willing to pay. I believe they where called "north east lot and pavement maintenance" or something like that. Beware of them.

5. fci

fci Senior Member

I have never heard of them I would recommend having a lawyer read their contract, the $50-$100 you will pay can save you thousands. Do a Goggle search read them all some good some bad and one will bring you right back here.

6. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

i did one just for fun.. the first thing that comes up is a rip off report from a snow contractor saying they didnt pay :laughing:

and it wasnt off of this site

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You gotta love rip of report. There are hours of reading on that site.

8. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Anything with "National" in the wording is Kryptonite for companies in the industry trying to "make $$" Run, don't walk!!!

9. shillins24

shillins24 Junior Member
    from 19014

Is anyone else working with these guys this year.? If so , are you getting paid.?

10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Yes National Maintenance Systems is 100% a joke.

I have a large store next to one of their Kohls. Obviously I've been chasing it due to the fact that I could just take it right over with minimal expansion of equipment. But they had a budget of $15,000 for the site, and it is 5+ acres..

Now get this, after reading their contract there are two odd stipulations that blew me away. The first, and worst, is the payment breakdown. 1st is like 5% of contract value. 2nd is another 5% of contract value, 3rd is 15%, so on and so forth until you get to the end of the season (when you aren't spending money anymore) and they give you numbers like 30% and more for the last couple payments. These might not be exact numbers, but it was something entirely unsustainable like that...

The second big issue was that the contract said "Minimum 3 yard loader must be dedicated to site, not to be used on any other sites during a snow event. etc etc.." And you have a budget of $15,000?? Well there is your entire loader rental right there..

Needless to say, the guy plowing it now has a Bobcat with a 68" bucket, and some truck from the late 70's with a fisher plow...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I have noticed that going on lately. Companies specify large equipment, then the figure they offer will not even cover a rental.

It's pretty disgusting.

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Y'all need to take Nancy Reagan's advice: Just say NO.

I know, there's always the next plowjockey in line that is going to hit the big times by saying yes, but reputable companies need to just tell these folks to stick it.

13. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

Need some advice

Hey guys I see this thread has been brought to the top lately and was wondering if anyone had more information on this company(I have been doing searchs on them) They contacted me today to take over a Kohls lot, its close to 4 acres and they are not specifying any certain sized loader on site. I have trucks and equipment sitting and my others are in the area. I have been very scared about working for nationals and have read there contract twice now, a few things I am not a big fan of in it and will review with my lawyer but would you guys consider finishing out a lot like this for the season? there offering 8k

14. shillins24

shillins24 Junior Member
    from 19014

I'm sitting at 45 days without a payment, and I feel like I'm getting the run around a little bit. I'm going to give them a few more days before I decide to do something.. Btw contract states 30 day

15. merrimacmill

from MA

If you get a handful storms for the remainder of this season, your already sunk at only $8K. Especially if you don't own (no payments) the equipment you plan on using for it..

Also something that is very common for these nationals is for the sales/account reps to say "oh hey, no problem. Just throw a skid steer down there and your all set! You can do it for $8,000!" That all sounds well and good when they are trying to get the lots for the lowest price possible, but when the ____ hits the fan, you will be sunk and called out on service failure. Good luck getting that $8,000 out of them after that. Its important to remember that more times than not, these peoples christmas bonuses COUNT on how cheap they can get the lots done.. This has been directly told to me by several reps from several national companies that we all know.

16. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

8k? Wow.

I would not even consider it.

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I was asked to bid 2 Stop and Shop gas stations.
    After reading the contract language, they sent me in word, so I made my changes to it and submitted my bid. They thanked me and never got back to me.
    email me at
    exterior@sbcglobal.net
    I will send the document to you. Fun reading

18. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

I dont see the problem. Our target pays similarly odd but so what? It amounts to the same annual figure. Favorite month of that contact is may :)

19. merrimacmill

from MA

All my accounts are paid monthly, equally.

Just do out the cash flow projections during season if receiving 5%, 10%, etc. during the season. If you have the cash or credit line to float it, then it can work fine I suppose. But thats not my situation as everything is run off a cash basis for me.

20. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Go ahead. Borrow to finance working cheap, then watch them go T U. Then you can go T U trying to pay the short term note.