1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nation Weather Service Winter Predicition

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sumit14641, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Sumit14641

Sumit14641 Junior Member

I saw the National Weather Service Winter Prediction for Great Lakes area...Normal Temperatures....Below Normal Snow...I think they may be right and the farmers almanac is incorrect...what do you think?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

All indications lean towards cold and snowy, nws is not that reliable, they predicted a warmer then normal winter two winters ago and it ended up being very cold with lots of snow.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I take it one day at a time. There's no point in getting your hopes up because one place says it going to snow like hell this winter while another will say that it's going to be warm and dry. It was supposed to be dry last winter and I plowed a total of 17 times!! :confused:

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

17 times,. god bles you,

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

National Weather Service? aren't they federal workers? I have never known a federal worker to tell the trouth yet. I think they are all paid ti lie. and apied quite well at that.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's not very nice. I retired last November after 32 years of federal service. :D

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Mick, Were you a weather forecaster?? Did you do something interesting like covert operations for the FBI?? :D I always wanted to be on the :alien: watch group. The prediction for my are is below normal precip & above normal temps for the next 90 days. I would be worried but they can't get this afternoon's forecast correct, so how are they gonna get 30 - 90 days ahead correct. BOAST

8. mole

mole Senior Member

If your in cleveland how can you predict lake effect snow?. I live in buffalo and i don't look at anything but what the lake temps are. Once they freeze than I can relax a little. as for the guy who plowed 17x in one winter I want your snow. We could plow 17x in one week here.

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Don't take it personal.
    The weather forecasters here cant get the forecast right even after they installed a window in there building. If they would just look outside to the SE of Juneau about 100 yds from ware they stand they could get the next 10 minutes right but no they can't do that. instead they gather all this information send it to the lower 48, and let someone there forecast our weather. In our area there forecast is a joke even on the local radio.
    10% chance of rain
    20% chance of westerly winds
    40% chance of fog in the morning
    2% chance this forecast might be right.
    I tell you lives depend on the weather. Fisherman, Pilots, Campers. etc.
    To get paid what they get and be wrong so often. A job we all wish we had. I can't believe They could be wrong over 75% of the time and still get paid.
    Sorry but weather forecasters just get my hackles up.

10. Mick

from Maine

Nothing so dramatic. I was a Counseling Psychologist for the Veteran's
    Administration for the last 13 years. My job was to decide if disabled veteran's were eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation. To me, it was interesting hearing the stories these guys had to tell. Then help them develop a plan so they could work within limitations. Probably sounds pretty boring. Before that, I was a Mail Carrier in St Joseph, Mo. and Omaha Ne. Before that I was in the Army for about 12 years.

Dwan, I wasn't taking it personally. Just couldn't resist. So I put a smiley to hopefully let you know that.

11. The Boss

as for the guy who plowed 17x in one winter I want your snow. We could plow 17x in one week here.[/QUOTE]

If I could plow 17 times a week, I would be in heaven! :yow!:
    I'll trade you anytime. :nod:

12. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Every year it keeps getting worse in the detroit area (less and less snow)......Why would it be any different this year?

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Just how many plows did you have Mole?

I'm in Rochester and plowed I think like 24 times at 3", just how many did you have last year?

14. The Boss

Most of mine are at 2" however I do have a handful that are at 1".

15. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

They can't get tomorrows weather correct.

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Actually what the long range forecast look at are the warming of the oceans and there direction of the currents. These are what predict El Nino' s etc. I dont think I would want to attempt to predict the weather myself. Kinda like the Brett Favre commercial, I would not have parked there. I would not have worn white etc. Armchair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen. just like Boss said take it when comes and wake up at 3 am and look outside for snow :) .
    Todd

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i predict it getting cold around fall, then snowing this winter. :):) there, can i be a weatherman man now.

18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

No superduty you can not be a Weatherman. First You did not study the information long enough. second, You have a 100% chance of beening right. third you live in the area your forcasting for. There are many other reasons but that is a few.

19. nocando

nocando Junior Member
    from NH

New England Snow

The NWS on Wednesday issued thier forcast for the US winter and when thy got to New England I'll quote; New`England faces atough winter this season, with El Nino setting upo in the pacific and a very cold artic trough setting up in Canada New engalnd will see aboe normal snow` or it won't" I'd love to get paid that kindof money to make that type of prediction

20. Mick

from Maine

I guess I can predict that I'm going to make a lot of money this winter or I'm not.

Can I get anybody to take a bet that I'm wrong?