1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NAPA Starter Return

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nate456789, Feb 22, 2010.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What ever you do don't buy from NAPA.
    I put a starter on my Truck last Feb.
    Lifetime warranty new starter. It never sounded right to begin with. But it worked.
    I even bought a pack of shims and tried playing with shims because it just sounded like junk.
    The truck had only been started and ran maybe 10 to 15 times since I put it on and a few week ago it would not start. Solenoid would not kick is what I am thinking - Clean terminals etc. finally gave up.

I didn't really want to put that NAPA junk back on. This last time cost me around $700 in plowing hours. Burn me once - you wont burn me again.

I put an Autozone one on and it works great even sounds like the original one.

Tried to return the NAPA junk. The first time the guy couldn't find it in the system and said he couldn't return it. I said what does it matter it still looks like new and has your sticker and number and its a lifetime warranty. That guy says it was a 2 yr warranty. I said he was wrong. He said come back and talk to the manager . Guy was totally rude. Even told me to come behind the counter and look thru his computer to find my starter. Like I was lying to him about buying it there. I told him that was his job not mine and left.
    Finally went back today and the manager was just as rude and was an A$$ about it too, but eventually gave me another starter.

Never in my life had so much problems returning a defective part. Autozone is no questions asked and so far knock on wood never had a failure. Atleast one that cost me money.
    I will never buy anything from NAPA again. I know my $5k a year in parts and accessories is a drop in the bucket compared to some budgets but there are plenty of other retailers who will take my money and treat me a lot better.
    Seems like just about everything I buy from them doesn't last. Clutch fans, Starters and alternators.

I would still like to send a note to someone at NAPA to let them know about how I was treated by their people but on the main site there is no contact info or a customer service

Just shows you how much they really care.
    Anybody else have NAPA problems??

Back in the day they might have been quality but they are junk now.
    Thanks for letting me vent!
  2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I've never had good luck with NAPA. Currently I buy most of my aftermarket / reman. parts from Advance Auto Parts. Knock on wood, they've been excellent. If you are doing any type of volume with your parts store make sure to set-up an account. They put you in the system by your telephone number and can pull up your purchases and warranty information. You'll get used to giving them your number every time.

I also organize all the receipts for all my vehicles in folders just in case of an issue down the road. Also helps when you sell a vehicle to have a complete if un-organized list of new parts.

We have a local parts store. Nice people, but otherwise a pain in the arse. The only advantage is a NET 30 day account on parts. We can pick up parts and pay at the end of the month. Problem is their parts are garbage. Starters, alternators, anything electrical is pretty much crap and they are all new not reman. Also their batteries are horrible. Sure, they have a warranty...lot of good it'll do you. Case in point: Took a set of batteries back, bulged out and won't hold a charge. Truck's electrical system is 100% good. They stick a volt meter on the battery and say it's good. Told em the batteries weren't charged and how do they test it without a load-test. I buy my batteries elsewhere from now on.

Hmmmm. Sorry for the long post, guess we're both venting.
  3. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I feel your pain! It is just aggravating and the stuff is not cheap, not to mention the wasted time.
    And then to have even the Manager be rude to you like you did something wrong.
    I am not saying all NAPA stores are bad but I will never step foot in that Zionsville NAPA store again.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have excellent results at Napa. I receive a small discount which helps keep my fleet of old wrecks running. I bought a high output alternator from them two winters ago. Took it back about a year later without my receipt. Guy spent 15 minutes or better digging for the sales invoice, I didn't have an account then. Walked out with a new alternator no questions asked.

I have found the knowledge of the counter guys to be light years ahead of any other autostore, especially the larger chains.

If you've been spending $5K/month and the wheels fall off over one starter, I have a feeling there is more to the story.
  5. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

That's a year! :)
    That includes plow stuff and extras for the trucks. strobes, fluid, hoses, what not, etc. Any specialty tools.
    That adds up quick. My trucks are usually well maintained and I have very few issues except for this season. Maybe it's time to rotate the stock.

I do have to say all of the tools that I purchased from NAPA are top notch.
  6. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

i had almost the same problem with a new starter from napa... mine lasted maybe 6 months and when i went to take it back the guy behind the counter goes "that thing looks 5 years old" i showed him the reciept and he gave me a bunch of crap... so i went on napa's website and filed a complaint and they caught some crap because they called me and replaced it
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I do thousands of dollars a month with NAPA at my shop. If you're going to buy starters and alternators from them, stay away from their new line... It's all chinese junk. You're much further ahead with their Rayloc premium line of reman stuff... that's all I'll buy from NAPA when it comes to starters and alternators.

Don't be fooled by the "NEW" label... it's new, but it's junk.

And, I will say that I have excellent luck with most products and service from my NAPA store. We have direct online access for ordering and delivery of parts... that's a huge plus. No way I'm gonna deal with the dummies at Auto Zone, Advance or any of the other joints where the high school dropouts are working the counter.
  8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

ive had pretty good luck at orileys untill i bought the 1 year starter it didnt last 5 days and craped out and i took it back and they said it wasent bad just by looking at it no test had to argue with them for 20 minutes and they made me upgrade to a lifetime for 10 dollars more.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Also, only buy the high line ignition and electrical parts. The mid/low line stuff is the same crap you get from AZ et al. That stuff is priced so tight there's no discount either.

I've actually been getting good pricing from one of the GM dealers.
  10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I really like doing business with my local NAPA guy. He knows part numbers by heart and can get just about anything by the next morning if it's not in stock.
  11. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

Napa stores are generally franchises so they are independently owned. That will account for a wide range of service quality. I have always had better luck with napa electronic parts went through 6 fuel pumps on my Cherokee from AZ before I switched to napa. Just put a high output alternator from napa on my Dakota and love it. No other parts store wanted to sell me anything other than stock replacements.
  12. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

I hear ya on the NAPA crap.
    Bought a starter just over a year ago for my 99 GMC.Sold the truck in Nov.dropped
    it off at the the guys house,he plows his driveway that night,then the next morning
    he calls and says it won't start.Sure enough starter was pooched.Not even 5000KM
    on it.
    They swaped it up no problem,but that is not the point.Barley over a year old,no miles
    on it is a joke for the price you pay for some of this crap.If that had of been hunting season
    and left me in the bush i would have been ticked.
    Napa alternator also crapped after 16 months,and it was too bad so sad.

Needless to say no more napa electronics for me.
  13. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

Napa is a reboxer. You never know what your going to get in the box. Their prices are higher then most other vendors and their quality has gone into the toilet. GPC owns NAPA, and their only concerned about one subject, and thats whats it going to take to keep the shareholders happy. There is no consistency with their pricing, its up and down like a yoyo, depending on the time of year, and when the next report is due their shareholders. Their rotating electrical, ignition parts, brake components, drivetrain, suspension components has all gone to the cheapest vendors they can get to box parts for them. As a last resort, I will purchase NAPA auto parts. I spend fourteen to fifteen thousand a month on parts, and more and more is going to the OE distributors.
  14. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

I couldn't agree more That NAPA is junk!! I went to replace a battery in my truck as a precaution. I bought napas top of line battery. I got it home and installed it and it worked fine a couple days later i tried to start it was dead!!! I ran a battery test and found it had a dead cell so I took it back. The snot nosed little brat behind counter tried telling me something was wrong with my truck!!! After I informed him how big a dumb ass he was his manager replaced my battery. I took that one home and guess what it was dead!!! I went back and manager again tried telling me its my truck!! I went to my car grabbed my battery tester and tested their batteries on the shelf and found 3 batteries under 10 volts and the one with a dead cell I returned!!! THEY PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I had a alternator from NAPA,it is on my basement shelf,it was a nuevo brand. Bought a AC/Delco to replace it. Had a starter from NAPA on highway dept. truck last one day. I like the local NAPA but am afraid of anything electrical that they sell. There is a new advance auto parts near me I might try. The joke is NAPA stands for Never Any Parts Available. plowking
  16. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

Same here. I have a 2500hd chevy and my dad has a 250 ford and we both run all factory parts and fluids. we have four napas within no more then twenty minutes from our house and their parking lots are alwyas empty but their delivery trucks are always running. i think people are getting that junk put on their vehicles in garages and dont even know it
  17. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'd be willing to bet that all the discount parts (china) are made by the same couple of companies and boxed as needed with branding and such. I always buy the best part I can find cause nothing costs more than being broken down or fixing it again.
  18. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

it almost all comes from over sea's now a days
  19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

So where do you start looking to find the best part and what do you look for to tell you it's the best part?
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What does everybody think about Carquest, O'Reilly's and stores like those? Carquest stores look like NAPA stores and I like that.

The biggest thing I hate about Advance and Autozone are the crappy accessories on display. Tweety Bird floor mats and plastic spinner hubcaps have always given me the impression that their "real" parts are crap too.