1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Naming the business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oatka, Dec 7, 2005.

1. oatka

oatka Junior Member

Does anyone have any pros/cons to naming your business after yourself. Let's say my name is Joe Schmoe, what are the pros/cons of naming my business Joe Schmoe's Lawnmowing, or Joe Schmoe Enterprises. Any one done this and have an opinion about it?

PS - one name I thought of using I recently found another local company used part of the name, and they were just kicked out of the BBB.
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

you want something catchy, something people will recognize in a phone book...if your name is catchy or easily recognizable then go ahead
  3. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Schmoe Plowing....
  4. oatka

oatka Junior Member

BreyerConstruct, you make me wish my name really was Joe Schmoe. thanks for the laugh.

BUBBACHUKA Junior Member

Schmoe Schnoe Bloes :)
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The one advantage to using your own full name in the business title is you don't need to file an assumed name with the secretary of state's office (at least that is how it works here in MN) The title of my business is Hemming Lawn Care, Hemming being my last name. It seems to work great for me but to each his own I guess. However just using your last name alone does still require an assumed name be filed with the state!

Just my .02 worth on the matter I guess!

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Another advantage may apply to you. If your name is part of the business name, some banks will let you use your own account rather than setting up a business account. The down side of this is if you get audited and have mixed personal and business money in the same account, you will have a harder time tracking income and expenses.
  8. iceman_4432

iceman_4432 Junior Member

I would definately keep the business account seperate from the private account ...ooooo that would be a tax auditing nightmare .

As far as naming the company ...... nothing wring in using your last name and them something after it like schlomoe lanscaping or schlomoe excavating, etc.