1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Name the parts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

All right, I don't know a whole bunch about trucks unlike most you but I am getting better, so bear with me:p The only problem that I can find on my truck is this mess in the picture. I can replace it fairly easily but I don't know what the part is actually called. There are two of them # 1 is leaking every were and has plastic coming out and # 2 is has a lot of slop in it and is also leaking (badly :D ) Thanks for the help,

- Eric

The truck is a Dodge W150 1993

Picture 090.JPG

2. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

number 2

well i kno number two is the sway arm

3. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

That is a steering box. That is most likely what is leaking and it is running down the pitman arm(#2) Replace the steering box and all those leaks will go away. The steering box may a bit exspensive $$$$$.payup

4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

And #1 is the rack and pinion pump. the pump comes with the rack and pinion setup.

5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

the #2 is the idler arm.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A pic is Worth payup hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  7. ght1098

ght1098 Member

You can buy a seal kit for the steering gear (the big nut in front of #1), a rebuild kit for the steering column shaft knuckle (#1), and if there is any play you can replace the draglink assy (#2).

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

rebuilt gearboxes are not too exspensive and are well worth it in the long run.BTW that is a worm gear setup not a rack and pinion unit and the pitman arm is bolted to it.Use auto trans fluid in the gearbox it is better for it than power steering fluid.#2 is the steering shaft and the part you are pointing to allows for telescoping action if a collision has occurred.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  10. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks alot guys:D I new you all would know:drinkup:

11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

STREETSURFIN: you are the only one that made since to me,

the borgeson or FLAMINGRIVER steering shaft is the only thing to replace that with it, the last one i bought for a dodge was 'bout 200 bucks and it does away with those ignorent shoes (by the way #1 is called the shoebox) #2 is not even close to he sway arm, it is the pitman arm and the reason it is "leaking" is 'cause it has a grease zerk on top WRIGHT:nod: , and the way to test that would be someone in the truck w/o motor running and jerking the steering wheel back and forth and someone watching it there should be little to no play out of that balljoint,

But it is NOT the sway arm:dizzy:

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think the plastic on the coupler is normal, but check it for play while you are checking the joint on the pitman arm. Those couplers are notorious for wearing and giving play at the steering wheel. One like the Borgeson or Flaming River will outlast a stock replacement.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My god, how many people don't know the mechanics of a vehicle!?!?

The pitman arm (#2) zerk fitting (the nipple on the end) needs to be greased regularly just as any other suspension/steering part- grease seeping out is not necessarily a bad thing. It means contaminants are coming out so that's semi normal when greasing. The PS fluid leak though may be an issue.

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

What the hell is a rack and pinion pump?? Isn't that the part next to the muffler bearings?:dizzy:

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just called on a junk yard power steering box for a Ford. It's $50 from a yard that just has trucks (rebuilt $189). If your not going to run the truck forever I would consider this option. If the seal is worn out the steering box can't be far from wore out also. The steering wheel shaft runs $200+ for new. (much better then stock)

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where did the pic go?
    well here it is, :waving:
    I know the parts on the W300 are diffrent but the names are the same.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008