1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Name That Rattle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bldrs83, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I have an '01 Ford F-350 with a V-10. While accelerating there is a rattle that happens right at 1800 rpm. The noise only lasts for about 25 rpm (1800-1825 rpm) and sounds just like a loose or broken heat shield because it has a thin tingy sound. I went to the hardware store and bought a whole army of hose clamps and strapped every shield in sight down with no results. The thin shield on the transmission that covers the torque converter was a little loose, so I wedged a screwdriver between the shield and the front of the transmission but the noise was still there. There has been some discussion on here about V-10's exhaust manifold studs breaking off but mine are all there, besides that, this noise sounds too "thin" for that. I'm just hoping some one else has had this problem under warranty and were told what it was. Thanks.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

heat shield-that truck has a lot off them
    put somebody you trust in the truck load the engine in gear
    stand beside the truck see if you can hear the rattle

john

3. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

if i was going to look under the hood while the engine was in gear and revved, i would pull up close to a solid wall of some sort...just in case. :)

also, are you sure there isn't a heat shield that you can only access from unnderneath. i don't have any specific info on your truck but i had a car once that had a shield under the manifold. i couldn't see itunless i was under it.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What about the y pipe. I've heard of some issues with them. I don't know any details though.

5. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Could it be pinging ? Try using the next grade higher gas a tank or two and see if it go's away .

6. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Mine does the same thing, I'm pretty sure its the heat shield where the exhaust splits, I'm gonna weld mine back the way it should be and see if it stops the noise.