1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NADA vs Kelly's

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ned5485, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Hey guys,
    I am shopping for a truck and during my research I have noticed that these two sites have some very different opinions. While looking up the suggested retail on specific models, I have seen NADA list it for $3,000-$4,000 more than Kelly's Blue Book. That is a BIG difference on a $17,000 truck!

What do you guys think? Am I supposed to split the difference? Or is one of the 2 sites crazy?

2. asudds

asudds Junior Member

I would go with the lesser of the 2 based on the poor economy and time of year. I know a lot of people are having a hard time selling even at KBB prices
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

www.edmunds.com is a LOT more locally accurate than either of those two.
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I usually do what you suggested and just average the 2 and that gets close to what you can realistically buy or sell for.
  5. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

In the automotive industry most dealers (at least in NY) use Galves which is alot lower than both of those sites. The only true way to find out a value of a used vehicle is through its demand in the are you live. Look at KBB and and all those other sites as a guide and then look in classified adds to see what they are really selling for. According to KBB my 02 Nissan Maxima GLE is worth around $13,500. Around here the market is flooded with them and I will be lucky to get $11,000.
  6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Buy by Kelly, sell by Nada;)
  7. neighborstree

neighborstree Junior Member
    from pa

when buying alwas check out ebay, if a 17,000 dollar truck is selling for 13,000 on ebay, then buy it there lol
  8. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I have always been nervous of buying a vehicle on ebay. If I can't physically drive it, I aint buyin it... I tried using ebay pricing in the past but it is hard to go with even without taking into account my previious statement, cause some on ebay are alot cheaper than current local market values due to professional buyers that purchase used cars through wholesalers and auction houses and trying to make a quick flip. I am sure you can get a good deal but do alot of research first.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use all 3 of them