1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Myths and Folklore

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Noose, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Noose

Noose Junior Member

What are wives tales you've heard to run true?
    My favorite and trusted stand by has been" Foggy morning/days + 90 days = inclement weather."
    The wasp nest high or low depending on forecasted snow depth.
    The beaver/muskrat house building... In the middle of ponds= cold long winter, also reflects ice thickness.
    Sun dogs, high cirrus(horse tails) high cumulus( fish scale) dictate change in weather 24-48 hours.

2. Snow Day

Snow Day Senior Member

Red Sky's in the Morning, Shepard's warning!

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Alot of acorns in the fall means heavy snowfall in the winter. The stripe size on those wooly caterpillers that are brown and black are supposed to predict snowfall too. Can't be any worse than the weathermen...

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Big snow little snow. litlle snow big snow. (size of the flake) 99% accurate.

Weather changes on the moon cycles. On the full moon the temps turn colder expect colder temps for 2 weeks.

5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

That's old............it's in the Bible:nod:

6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

If the smoke falls from the chiminey (or fire) bad weather is on the way.

It's also how you tell if it's low air pressure

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

if you wake up in the morning with a bloody nose and throwing up. It didnt snow as usual, and you drank to much and got in another fight over it at the bar.:jester:

8. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Only 50% accurate. It's a high possibilty that you fell flat on your face between your bar stool and your house.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Pine-cones

The more cones your pine tree sheds the more snow you will have in the winter.

I have 6 Pine trees in my yard and all of 2007 the tree's were full. It was crazy, there were so many cones I completely layered appx. 30x30 ft space with em where my wife grows flowers.
    07/08 season we had a record year here and it was the most I personally have ever plowed.

This year the tree's have more then normal (comparing what I have seen them produce over 20 years) but not near as many as I had in 07. Will see if this holds true if so then I expect a better then average year but not as bad/good as last year was.

10. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

In these parts we got a guy by the name of Daner.

He's figurin on a cold snowy winter cause he say's the skeeters have hair on their legs.

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Here on the ocean, we've got a little different take...

Red Sky in the morning, Sailers take warning, Red Sky at night, Sailer's delight!

One I've heard here is that if the lady bugs are climbing high in the fall, the snow will be deep.

A local one...the # of foggy days in August will equal the # of snow storms that winter. We had a lot of fog this summer.......:nod:

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang you MSS beat me to it.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Old people leaving for FLA. before Labor Day means cold and lots of snow!

14. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

keep track of the rainfalls in the summertime, how cold the rain is... cold rain is fluffy snow... then add on 6 months to that day example july 4th 1 inch cold rain... + 6 months= january 4th give or take a day the weather will repeat itself... 80 yr old man explained this to me last year. he plowed for 40 years keeping track of this... last year was the 1st year I tried it and it was surprisingly accurate... I ddnt keep track this summer but the old man did.

15. storm king

storm king Member

So that would mean all the cold rain we had today should bring a good snowstorm somewhere about the end of may early june sometime huh :)

16. dirtmandan2

yep make sure the plow is ready those june storms are usually big ones...

17. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Crap!! We're down 5 inches below average. Thttp://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/crying.gif The silver lining? About three months ago, we had three inches of cold rain in one day. I'll try and let you know if get a thirty inch blizzard. What fun that will be!!http://www.lawnsite.com/images/PAYUP.GIF

18. dirtmandan2

about 3 months ago should make it a big march storm!!!

19. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

March is usually our snowiest month here. Last year we got the big goose-egg. The season started out great last year too. One push in Nov., six in Dec. Not bad for around here. Then we only pushed once in Jan. Had one in Feb. and none for the rest. One big storm in March would great, but I don't want to wait that long!! I just want three good months of about six or seven quality pushes each.

20. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

If there is no acorns in the woods mild winter because mother nature looks out for the animals. Where im deer hunting there is no acorns so i guess we will have mild winter. Im looking out for the deer real well, with a 257 weatherby.
    mike