1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Myth or fact

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jbis1782, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL THE VETS OUT THERE. HOW MUCH MORE BULK SALT DO YOU USE COMPARED TO BAG SALT. WE HAVE USED BAGGED SALT FOR YEARS AND NOW LOOKING TO USE BULK. i HEARD YOU USE MORE BULK BECAUSE IT IS FINER AND HAS MORE POWDER IN IT. IS THIS MYHT OR FACT?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I say myth busted...............

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Using both, Ive noticed there is definitely smaller granules and powder in bulk vs. bagged. I think you do get more coverage using bagged vs. bulk pound for pound. But the price difference is worth the switch but with switching comes more headaches....dry place to put it, a way to load it, a different spreader (maybe). We switched from rock salt to liquid and a lot less headaches. We are using liquid for 90% of our contracts and 10% for the rest.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Post application as well?

5. Brian Young

Basher, do you mean application rates?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No, do you use it as an ice melt or just pre applications

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think the cost is much less for the bulk, this depending on the availability tho. You will find the finer the salt granual the quicker to melt but will not last as long. From time to time we often have to use powdered salt as bulk because that is the only salt available from the local salt mine. Works good but not in windy dry situations. It will blow from the point of application to the for side of the lot like drifting snow.

8. Brian Young

Sorry Im all hopped up on cold medicine,lol. We seldom use it for pre storm applications, due to people not wanting to spend an extra penny, even after us trying to educate them. I'll be honest with every one, even when we just plow it without pre treating it we still have great results. I have learned to put more down at entrances higher traffic areas and let the cars do some work for ya tracking it all over the place. There is a noticeable difference in the accumulation of snow over the treated areas.

9. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i use bag in tail gate spreader and cinders in v box with salt mix . thinking of going to go bulk but it was all summed up place to keep loader to load

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would say it's a wash.....this year we are going to be 100% bulk. in the past we have used bulk for all of the parking lots but still used bags for the walks....today we mixed up about 1 ton of fine grade bulk salt with geomelt and mag and put it in sealed 5 gal buckets.....this should save us about $300 per ton vs using bags.....HOPE IT DOESN'T FREEZE UP!!!!

11. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that I would use more bulk then bag. I think its because over all it a little more messy. We spill it and move it around ten times. Lol! I find myself being more aggressive with the bulk because we have a lot of it and we can load it fast. Thats just my thoughts though, every one is different. I was more accurate with the bag salt because I new exactly what I was putting down.

12. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

i could'nt have said it any better!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkup::drinkup:

13. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I definately agree with Mike S. But I also believe that when I used to use bagged I used less salt mainly because it was cold outside and I didn't want to get out and load more salt anymore than I had to! Once you go bulk you will never go back!

14. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with IHI and big pusher! They seem like good guys! LOL! It always was too cold for that bag stuff! LOL!