1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mystery spreader manufacture

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Krider, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Krider

Krider Junior Member
    from MA

Does anyone know anything about this spreader? I was up in Maine visiting my family for Thanksgiving and I came across this spreader for sale on the side of the road about 5 miles from where I am staying. I looked it over and it looks to be in pretty good shape. It has a 2 yd poly hopper and is a fully hydraulic system. The rest of the unit is stainless steel. There are a few slightly bent pieces on the bottom of the chute but other than that it looks to be in near new condition. The guy had it mounted on a small log trailer so that is the reason for custom removable stand mounted to the bottom. Any advice about this unit would be nice as I need to make a decision if I was to buy it soon because I am retuning to MA tomorrow. I will be installing this in my 2003 F-350 pickup with a 5.4 gas engine. I do not have central hydraulics in this truck so I would need to add that to the truck or change out the spreader to a different power source. I think I can pick up the unit for $2500.00. I like this unit because I think it will be lighter than a traditional stainless v box spreader. What do you guys think?

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Ive seen those somewhere. Hmmm.....
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

you can buy a new 2 yard spreader for that that is all electric.....so you would not have to do the switch over work
  4. Krider

Krider Junior Member
    from MA

True, but I'm nervous about the electric units... Ive never used one and wouldn't want to strain the electrical system on my truck, especially since the truck is a single battery system.
  5. loggerman

loggerman Member

Were abouts is it located? I have seen it when i have been hauling wood but can't place where! Looks like a good deal to me!
  6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I dont think he could buy a stainless electric for that.
  7. turboguy

turboguy Member

Yes, I can tell you exactly what it is. It is a Turbo Turf. It is probably about 4 years old. We have a few of those in Maine but our dealer up there went out of business a few years ago.

I will say this if it helps. The guys who have them love them and seem to have no problems with them. We do have any parts it would ever need in stock. The price you can buy it for is a bargain.

There are not a lot of those out there. The unit works great but we never figured out how to build them at a profit. Back when steel was a little higher than it is now we actually had more in materials than we were selling the units for. That was materials only before we put them together.

We try hard not to sell any but still do build a few. Still from anything you would encounter with that unit you would have a hard time finding a better unit at any price and that price is a bargain.
  8. Krider

Krider Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks Turboguy! I looked all over the unit but couldn't find an ID Tag. Just wondering if I should know anything more about the unit. What happens if the poly hopper cracks? Were there any other different power configurations? ie electric or gas. Who makes the conveyor chain? How much do you think you save in weight with the poly hopper rather than a stainless tub.Thanks for all your help. Cool unit!
  9. turboguy

turboguy Member

You are welcome. Let me try to answer your questions. Yes, there were other power configurations available. We made it also with a Briggs or Honda engine.

Personally I don't think the hopper will ever crack. We have had units out for ages and never had a hopper problem. I have more hoppers here than we will ever use so if that ever did happen I could supply a new one very reasonably but it won't.

The first few we built we built the drag chain ourselves after that we bought them preassembled from Allied Locke who is the leading mfg of that type of chain.

I would guess that it saves a couple of hundred pounds in weight plus material will tend to freeze less on the hopper. We tried to make a really deluxe unit and the guys that I know that have one would not have anything else. Most of the units we build now are to guys who have had one and love them. Last year we built zero because we were so burried with orders for liquid systems. Liquid systems are slower this year so we are building a few. I have a couple of them back there now coming together for guys who already own one but we have stopped advertising and taken it off our price list. To really be interested in promoting them again we would have to find a way to really reduce our costs. Just so you have something to compare our price for the stainless unit is $ 4495.00 with a Briggs or Hydraulic power and a bit higher for the Honda.

Not that it matters but the stainless steel for that unit cost us $ 1500.00 (it might be a bit cheaper now) and by the time we added the engine or hydraulics, the gearbox, the drag chain, and everything else we had about 4 grand in materials before we put the labor into it. That is why we are not very excited about building them. I know I can get a little cost out of it without reducing quality but not enough to even break even.

It is an excellent unit and that is a great price. It is nothing to me one way or the other but if I were you I would snatch it up. I don't think you will go wrong with it.

The only problem we ever encountered from day one was a minor engine overheating problem which we solved by changing the venting in the hood and otherwise it has been as trouble free as anything you could ever find.
  10. Krider

Krider Junior Member
    from MA

well, I bought spreader! Now i need to set up the hydraulics in the truck to run the unit. Turbo, I think i'll give you a call early in the week to fugure out what i need as far as GPM and maybe some advise about some other things i need to know about the unit. Thanks for all your help thus far.
  11. turboguy

turboguy Member

That's fine Krider. Happy to help. My name is Ray and if I happen to be out talk to Dirk.
  12. Krider

Krider Junior Member
    from MA

For Sale

I bought this spreader with the intentions of setting it up on my F-350 Pickup but I have never got around to it and it is just taking up space. Hydraulic drive and in great condition.

Stainless Steel Sander with Poly hopper to save weight. This unit is in great shape and needs nothing. Hook up the hydraulic lines to your central hydraulics system or tractor remotes and go make money. This spreader fits into a pickup bed. It has a Poly spinner and a New Conveyor Chain. Call Kevin 978-821-2385.

Looking to recover what I have into it. $2900.00