1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mystery clunk?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by swa136, Feb 2, 2007.

1. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

When I accelerate from a stop I get a thud that feels just like a broken motor mount. It doesn't happen in reverse. I've checked both mounts, transfer case mount, and they're fine. Anybody ever experience this? It's a 2001 GMC 1500, 4.8 w/ 4L60E 78,000 mi. Any ideas would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Make sure that the slip yoke is lubed. Suspension movement when taking off will cause a slight movement in the yoke, If it cannot move freely, it may cause a clunking noise.
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My wifes 2001 Chevy 1500 4x4 did the same thing after about 2 years. I think it made it to the dealer about 10 times for that problem. They never could find anything wrong with it, they even tore down the transmission. I kept on them so much that they had a regional service manager come down from Detroit and he said it was normal. B.S. I threatened lawsuit and they gave her a 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain. We ended up trading it in, not long after that. There is a service bulitan out on it and it basically says to do nothing.:rolleyes:
  4. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

swa136, Does it feel like its coming from the rear end? I have an 03, and it feels like something is shifting in the drive train somewhere. I was wondering if it was a rear u-joint.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

swa136, I posted this before but here it is again.... GM bulletin.....Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) #01-04-17-004 - (Oct 5, 2004)
    Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke )
    1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC Extended Cab Short Box Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

with 4L60-E (RPO M30) or 4L80-E (RPO MT1) Automatic Transmission and Automatic 4WD (RPO NP8)

Some customers may comment on a clunk, bump or squawk noise when the vehicle comes to a stop or when accelerating from a complete stop.

A slip/stick condition between the transfer case output shaft and the drive shaft slip yoke may cause this condition.

Replace the rear drive shaft slip yoke with a new nickel plated slip yoke, P/N 12477702 (1500 Series) or 12477704 (2500 Series).
  6. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

jbwerling: It feels like the rubber to rubber thud you get from a broken motor mount after the motor torques up, then sets back down on the frame. I think B&B's post might explain it, but I have reg. cab w/ long bed, and the TSB is for ext. cab w/ short bed(can't see where there'd be a difference). This started about 500 miles after I changed the 2 U- joints on the rear shaft, so I'm gonna go with B&B's recommendation, and change that slip yoke, and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys! I'll post the results after I change it.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry about the TSB only covering the e-cab/short bed truck, as changing the yoke AND using the special GM grease to lube the spline's on the new yoke will fix the thump in any truck whether it's a reg cab or an extended cab/short bed as long as it's a one piece drive shaft and not a two piece with a carrier bearing. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007