1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mysterious head light failure

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by danman004, Jan 8, 2015.

1. danman004

danman004 Junior Member
    from IL

Hello all... first time poster although I have been a follower for a while.

I have a 2003 F250 7.3L with a 8ft Western Ultra straight blade. Have 3 port ISO with 3 cables at the grill.

Plow has worked great for the past few years other than the occasional hose...Start of this season the gremlins have started to appear. I have had intermit ant issues with the controller last season where it would cut out all of a sudden ....Then work fine for a while....A couple weeks ago it finally stopped... It lights up and you can turn it on... But when you hit up left or right it shuts it self off.....Still is lit though...the truck side molex had a wire that had pulled out so i replaced the molex and this still was happening. Tried a friend joy stick and every thing worked fine..... That is what i am using now thinking that the controller is dead.....After this al happened I went to go out the other day and i have not lights on the plow. No Hi beam no lows no turns or parking.....The lights on the truck stay on never switch over....I started troubleshooting with the easy stuff like checking the wires at the plugs wiggling things and nothing....I plowed like this for 4 hrs the other night and nothing ever came on.....Wondering if the controller issue could have resulted in something with the head lights or where to start the wiring tests......Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You have two unrelated problems. Your controller either has one, or more, of the six wires broken or the contacts may need to be cleaned. Possibly the circuit board is cooked. The other issue points to the 3 port isolation module. The fact that the controller lights up and can be turned on indicates that the module is detecting the plow but is not fully switching over. Try a new 3 port module. Would be nice if you could borrow one rather than buy one. Once you open the package most dealers won't take them back so it would be nice to verify what it is before committing to the payment.

3. danman004

danman004 Junior Member
    from IL

So to add to the saga!! was plowing last night and about 3/4 of the way through with my route all of a sudden i see a change in lighting... Could it be I asked my self!!!!! and sure enough the headlights on my truck switched off and the plow lights came on. It was short lived about 20sec. a minute later it happened again this time like strobing between the truck and plow..... then all of a sudden the plow lights stayed on the rest of the night...... after i was finished with my route i played around a little...... when i press the momentary HI beams the plow high beams come on. when i pouch the high beams forward to stay on it again does the strobe thing back and forth between the truck and plow finally coming to stop with the truck HI beams on and no plow lights. go back to low beams and the plow lights come on and stay on....I am super confused now!! any thoughts??!!!

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And you.cked the headlight connectors? All of them?

5. danman004

danman004 Junior Member
    from IL

i checked the ones on the truck but have not opened up the plow lights yet that is the plan for the weekend......The wind has been crazy here that last few days. hopefully will find a simple answer in there

6. dieselss

Oh I know bout the wind. Nwi here

7. mishnick

Looking at your plow lights I think is a waste of time. If the truck lights are on the isolation module is not switching. You need a new isolation module. Your controller should not light up without switching the lights.

8. dieselss

The controller comes on when the gnd is plugged in. Lights on or off irrelevant. But I agree about the "plow" lights not being the culprit. Not saying Iso just yet, but it's a thought.

9. mishnick

There are two relay "systems" in the isolation module. Both are switched when you plug in the 11 pin light plug at the grill which completes the ground loop back plow presence detector circuit. If the plow is plugged in both the controller power a relay and the headlight relays are switched on. When the controller is live the truck lights should NEVER come on if the isolation module is working. If the truck lights are off there will be no headlights on the truck or the plow (unless it has DRLs in which case the plow headlight will be on even if the switch is off) but he says that the truck lights do come on at the same time as the controller, that = isolation module... Initially I thought maybe the wires from truck light plugs to the isolation module but, from what he says either the truck or the plow light is on. If the link from truck light plug was bad the lights coming on at all would be unreliable. All this points to isolation module.