1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Myers or a Snow Dogg for a Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by snyps, Dec 14, 2009.

1. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Looking for a new plow for a 1999 Jeep Wrangler 6Cyl Automatic. I am thinking of either the 6.8' Myers or Snow Dogg. This is going to be for commercial use where we are plowing over 20 small driveways a night. We currently have a older myers on our other jeep, and have had nothing but problems with the e49 pump and push frame issues.

Any thoughts on which plow is heavier duty for our use? The Myer is about $1000 more unless we buy it on CPW and compare to to the local price of the Snow Dogg.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I am not impressed with myers plows lots of people have problems with the pump motors and wiring.
    and mounting frame.
  3. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Do you have a Boss Dealer near you? They turn out a really nice sport duty plow. I just had it installed on my TJ
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

22 series with Down pressure.
  5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

HAHA, just wanted to throw one more manu. out there. Those SnowDogg plows have some impressive specs. :yup:
  6. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I have a brand new FISHER!!, and Love it
  7. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Well we decided on the Snow Dogg plow. It is $1000 cheaper then the others and seems fairly well designed. We will be doing over 40 driveways a night with it, the good news is our other jeep will be a backup so if we break it we can just leave it and get the other one to finish up.

We like the boss, but we really need a 6'8" plow at most. We have a few driveways that are exactly 6' and at full angle we can just fit with the plow. Some people think we are nuts, but with what we are charging to do these driveways it is well worth the headaches!

I am going to do a review on the plow and report back on how it holds up!
  8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

Can't wait to read your review!:D
  9. bobg1958

bobg1958 Junior Member

What modifications did you do to your 97 Wrangler when you added the plow? Air shocks, or air bags, a lift, second battery, new alternator?????? Trying to decide which direction to go and prefer to get all of the bugs worked out BEFORE I start spending the money. Thanks
  10. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

How is it working?
  11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

how can your driveway be 6' wide, thats small
  12. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

most vehicles are less that 6 feet wide, my F250 is only 6 and a half
  13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats correct BUT when you angle the plow NOW the path the plow clears is not as wide as the truck AND when you go around a corner your rear wheels run into the snow bank.
  14. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

I was replying to the post about a 6 foot wide driveway. I know about them angling :D (I have several drives I really wish I had a jeep for... it seems everyone who waited a few snows to call me has a small drive... lol) My F250 is not easy to do them with!
  15. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I am sorry I have been gone from the site for a while, we have been getting some decent snow in Buffalo.

To answer your questions about the 6' driveways. We actually have one that is 5'11" and have to go on the grass slightly to plow around a step that sticks out. The jeep with a 6'8" plow can do it, but as always you have to be careful and take your time. Also with the plow fully angled it is just a little wider then the jeep. So it covers the tire tracks fairly well.

As for the plow, I am very impressed so far. I had a few small issues with the install but it was a dealer/distributator problem. It is a little early to do the review at this point, but I will list the pro's and con's that I see so far.

:) Pro's
    The plow is FAST!!
    Lights are decent
    Low amp draw when moving the plow
    back drags great
    Great Price
    Good standard options with a deflector & a handheld controller
    Monarch pumps are very reliable

:realmad: Con's
    I don't like the plow controller after useing boss and western hand helds
    I actually wish the back of the plow wasn't reflective (after hours of no sleep for and plowing bright lights start to hurt)

As far as our setup it is fairly basic right now. Buying this Jeep we put money into the most important things like fix everything mechanical that it needed. But then we put in a set of air lift air bags and a new rear windshield wiper. We put about 100 lbs of sand bags in the rear (all we had laying around). I will say that this snow dogg plow does not stress the alternator with a stock sized battery out. I can have the wipers going, radio on, rear window defrogger with the heat on high and the headlights do not dim when opperating the plow!!

I will have more details to come, but until we use it a little more and I catch up on sleep, I won't comment any more on it's performance!
  16. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Stay away from Meyers. Western or Fisher are good options!
  17. whillysfreak

whillysfreak Junior Member

Meyer was heavy and a pain