1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

myers mate spreader

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by TPC Services, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Need to buy a combantion salt/sand spreader. how will does the myers mate spreader spread a damp sand conpared to a western pro flow2 the myers web page says it can do it. I would like to hear it from someone that has use or still has one!!!

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Me too! I have been trying to find this out and no one can seem to tell me. The Meyers dealer told me it will because it vibrates, but I'm not 100% sure I believe him. The Snow-Ex dealer says the 1875 is the only tailgate spreader that will throw mix. I need to know quick because I am buying soon and the Meyers is a LOT cheaper. I don't want to spend an extra $1000 if I don't have to. I think I'm going to talk to the Meyers dealer again and tell him if I buy it and it doesn't throw mix I want all my money back.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I'am also in the same boat I tuoght A rep would say some thing here on there own page but have heard nothing and nothing form any one that has look in there. I now westerns pro flow 2 handles both salt and sand but like you said the other options are a lot more money but I guess thats what will have to do becasue we can't seam to get a anwser from any one.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i doubt the meyer will be able to spread wet sand

john

5. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

The mate will spread damp material until it freezes. My Buddy has one and has no problems unless you leave material in it and it freezes.

6. Detroitdan

why would it freeze if its 50% salt?

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i was all ready to buy a v-box but i was told you cant leave salt in because it freezes

john

8. Detroitdan

Meyer lost out on this one. Bought a Snow-Ex 1875. List was $2399, paid $1943 for the last one, was a display model and they threw in the pivot mount and upgraded controller. I've heard from a few different sources that it will in fact throw mix, and it was still a little cheaper than the Speedcaster 2.

9. Michael M

Michael M Member

snow-ex 1875

Where did you buy that snow-ex 1875 for that price? I priced out the meyers tailgate spreader in Candia NH and they want $1,894 installed. Thanks

10. Detroitdan

I got it at Granz Turf Depot in Salem NH. I called Stills Turf Depot in Manchester, they said they had none and weren't getting any more, but that their Salem store had one left that they wanted to get rid of and they would give me a good deal. And they did. If you call them maybe they'll order you one. Ask for Ed, he was real good with me. But I think I got the good price because they wanted to be rid of it. I don't know why they aren't pushing them this time of year, maybe they're cutting their losses with the warm winter we've had, or maybe they are going to stop carrying Snow Ex. I don't get it. If you do get an 1875, I have an extra pivot mount kit worth 4 bills, I'll make you a good deal on it. I don't have their phone number right in front of me, but I can find it if you need it.

I looked at the Meyers Mate, they were advertising it for $1400 and something recently, but that's without installation, so maybe that's where the difference is. I did my own install, wasn't too bad, have to drill a bunch of holes and bolt a lot together, took me several hours, could have done it faster if I read the directions, but where's the fun in that? I wasn't totally convinced of the Meyers ability to throw mix. I don't really trust that guy in Candia, I've talked with him a few times over the years about various things, I think he'll tell you anything to get in your wallet. Let me know how it works out.
    Dan

11. Michael M

Michael M Member

Snow-ex 1875

I spoke to Ed at Granz and he told me that they would order a unit for me.That doens't come with the pivot mount. How much are you looking for that mount?
    Call me at 978-257-0423

12. jfpjr

jfpjr Junior Member

Hey guys, looks like you have made up your minds, but for what it's worth I have a couple freinds who run the Mate with good success. I have no real experience with the Western model, but know the Mate comes standard with a vibrator that keeps the mix and some straight, those reasonably dry, sand moving and reduces clog.

Also, the Mate does not require drilling or anything into the tailgate so your truck isn't effected. makes the install easier so cash and carry can save you some dough if you can run a power wire yourself

13. Detroitdan

Michael M, I tried to PM you and can't so I'll try to give you a call tomorrow sometime.

14. Detroitdan

sorry Mike, I completely forgot about you until I tripped over that mount today. If you're still interested how about two bills for it?

15. Michael M

Michael M Member

snow-ex 1875

I am still looking for the rig I want. I'm leary about the tailgate spreaders capalbilities to throw mix.Did you buy the vibrator kit? I have considered the fisher 2 stage tailgate spreader(big bucks).

16. Detroitdan

I used it once so far with 4:1 mix, ran about a half yard through. Worked great, couldn't be happier with it. It came with the vibrator already installed, I didn't even realize it until the button got pushed by accident. The Snow Ex is two stage, seperate auger and spinner.