1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

myers e-47 power drain

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluesmantiny, Sep 10, 2002.

1. bluesmantiny

bluesmantiny Junior Member
    from ontario

my meyers e-47 when in use last winter would take such a power drain while lifting or angling that the lights would go right dim and the altenator belt would start to squeal from the load. I had mentioned this to a few people and one said the moter is fried the other said the altenator is fried........now the amps on my alt are good in normal operating(going by the ampmeter) i cleaned the contacts....changed the oil........still the same.....so if i go with the altenator change and put a higher output altenator in my 1985 chev K20 with a 350 no air and single battery am i going to do damage to my battery if i start generating all this excess power in a normal operating condition (as i only plow once in a while but use my truck everyday) or does the battery disperse this extra energy?........should i use two batteries?.....i only use the plow for my own driveway and a few friends driveways(if they have beer!)....so I don`t use it too much.......any reply is much appreciated.....
    Thanks...................Daryl:drinkup:

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

If the charging system is up to specs, I would think that maybe the pump motor is drawing too many amps. Maybe a new motor or rebuilding the one you have is in order. I don't have much Meyers experience, hopefully some others here will answer too.
    Just doing a couple drives you should be fine with 1 good quality battery. If you start doing more, you may consider adding a second.

Just my thoughts,
    Mark K

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Remove the motor. Check the bushing on the output shaft where it turns the pump. There is a bronze bushing on a steel shaft. The steel sometimes rusts, causing too much friction on the bronze. I did mine 3 years ago. A piece of emery cloth to remove the rust, and a dab of waterproof bearing grease, and all was well. IF I had the time, I would have let the bronze bushing soak in motor oil overnight. Bronze is porous and will absorb oil.

Also, check your motor ground connections. Make sure the motor has a GOOD ground. The aluminum body of the pump assembly oxidizes easily, and is not the best ground as it is.

While you have the motor off, inspect the carbon brushes for wear and clean the inside of the motor with Electrical Contact cleaner. Let it dry thoroughly before assembly.

~Chuck

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Chuck do you know anything about the e57? I know that some of the 47's problems were solved with the horizontal and bigger e60. Wondering if the problems will still be present with the vertical e57?

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Actually CT, the E-60 had problems of its own in the begining.
    That heavy motor mounted horizontally, on two tiny screws (in comparison to the weight of the motor) was a somewhat bad idea. Where the steel of the motor meets the aluminum pump body, oxidation was a problem causing a bad ground. Once it starts you end up removing the motor to clean it. Do it 5 times and the threads in the pump wear out, then the motor starts falling off. I had to replace the mounting plate on my brother's E-60 pump once. Meyer wised up and added a ground lug right on the motor instead of using the pump body. I think the horizontal mounting (at least the way Meyer did it) was not such a great idea. Internal rust on the motor was a big problem, at least for me. The carbon brush springs broke (several of them) on more than one ocassion. I don't know if it was a seal problem with the end cap or what. My brother's E-60 had a lot more rust AND overall problems than I ever had with my 20 + year old E-47.

Anyone with an E-60 pump, remove the end cap on the motor, and I think you will be surprised at how much rust you will find.

I think that is why Meyer came out with the plastic pump cover .....

I am hoping the E-57 has the same speed as the E-60, without the other problems.

Then again, the fleet I maintain now is all Western.

~Chuck