1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My worst start to a season by far.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duncan90si, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Well all this stuff has happened to either me or my plowing partner. We run six trucks and at one time we had maybe 3-4 running.

My V box wouldn't start one morning. I had to tear the carb apart and and clean it out.

The tail pipe broke on my pickup. Went to rip it off to get it out of the way and when it fell it broke a brake line. So I was bending and bleeding brake lines at 10:30 pm. Good times.

Serious plow light, grounding, and plug problems with the Hiniker straight blade. Got that fixed.

A one year old MVP plus plow decided to just randomly start going haywire. Took it to the dealer and was fixed for free. (It took 2 days though.)
    The '03 Duramax its mounted to is having some serious electrical issues with the trans. It will just stop working all together sometimes. The Chevy dealer supposedly fixed it 2 days ago which took a day to do.

Blew up a GM tranny in a 6.5 TD that was less than 1 year old. The same Chevy dealer as above has had it since Monday and the truck hasn't even moved. Its still under warranty luckily.

The frame rails on my dump are starting to buckle from a little "hard work". :eek: So its going in the shop Monday to get the frame pulled and the front 2-3' of the frame plated over for reinforcement. No I didn't hit anything or ram huge piles of snow.

Heater quit working in another pickup. Its running fine but it gets a little cold after about 5 seconds of being in it.

The ATV we use to plow sidewalks decided to somehow lock itself in park. (I haven't looked at this, I'm sure its simple.) Someone stole over 15 gallons of fuel for the ATV from a tank we have inside a garage on a job that is "supposed" to be locked. I have reason to believe its one of our guys that did it. This should get interesting.

And to make all you Ford guys out there smile.... we do have one Ford a '00 F250 5.4L and it was running solid all week long. It has a weak universal in the front driveshaft, thats about it. Its been a good truck so far as long as you have 5 seconds to wait for the trans to go into reverse everytime you want to back up. :sleeping:

We have still managed to get most everything done in a timely manner and made a load of money, so I can't complain too much. All equipment was checked over and working properly before the start of the season. Then when the first snow hits magically everything starts breaking. Oh well, forecast for the next few days is clear so its time to warm up the garage and get wrenching. :)
  2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Oh and I almost forgot about this. I was heading home to get a couple hours of sleep when the Hiniker dropped on the road so I pressed up on the controller. Well my windshield was then covered by hydraulic fluid with the wipers on going around a bend. lol Its not a chain lift so I drove home on bare roads dragging the blade. I got some strange looks from people to say the least. :dizzy:
  3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

So are the shift indicators on the dash working? Like if you have it in drive, does it indicate it? Does it ever indicate the wrong gear? Gone through any car washes lately?
  4. makplow

makplow Senior Member

That is some pretty tough going. i would want too ask my man that is in charge of maintenece a few questions. That many problems shouldn't happen all at once.

Good luck though,

5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

When it is malfunctioning the indicator is blank, from what I've seen. I'm not sure of the wrong gear displaying. I don't think he has washed it lately but we have been plowing a lot of slush.
  6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

7. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Cool dunc, you have a lot more intestinal fortitude then i have. lol. lots of luck

8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

You have a bad NSBU switch, it's located on the side of the tranny. The shift cable attaches to the shaft running through it. Yours is probably black, they were real prone to moisture problems. The updated version is tan. Go to a allison dealer to get it, it's a lot cheaper through them. NSBU is just one of the many names I've heard it called. I don't know the official name. Mine was doing the same thing and I replaced it. I'll see if I can find my slip, but that was last year..............
  9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I totally can relate!

Start of the season every piece of equipment had been throughly gone over.

1st snow fall -
    * Client calls says we do losy work - got new service (funny thing we hadent even plowed yet)
    * Backed into a clients light pole and bent the rack on the back of the jeep all to hell (had just cleaned it up {new welds, paint, adjustments})
    * When this happened it punched a whole right through the advertisining on the back...urgh!

2nd snow fall -
    * rebuilt the rack where it sustained damage
    * Got through the day to the last account and the rack for the equipment just blew apart...Urgh!:dizzy::realmad:
    * Toro threw the belt, shattered the inner spring tensioner
    * Trailer worked well though
    * Had to shovel last set of clients by hand
    * Slipped fell on right knee & wrist
    Between time -
    * Lots of fielding calls (elderly fellow slipped on his drive)
    * Very lil sleep (Whats that?)
    * Nagging headache
    * Lotsa welding, cutting, grinding, some cussing

3rd snow fall -
    * Old rack sucks (bought a totally new one seems like a nice one)
    * everything seems to work well
    * plow is slightly out of wack (dont know)
    * slip sideways in ditch

I know there was so much more to say, but the days just bled together....cant even :dizzy: remember anymore. Funny thing is, even with bing totally fried and peeved, still by the grace of God stayed level headed...Could say, even a bit loopy!:jester:

10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Ok I found the part number it's 29540479
    And I found a page with an application guide.
    You may want to check to be sure it fits yours. This is a two plug unit. At some point they went to a single plug, and then they went to an internal unit.
    And here's a few tips for when you change it.
    Be careful not to damage the plugs. They may be very hard to get out. What happens is sometimes because of the corrosion inside they draw way more current than they are supposed to and melt the epoxy coating inside. This then "glues" the connector in. I had to break my old switch off around the connectors so I wouldn't damage them. This epoxy is all over the pins and everything. If the dealership didn't clean it off very well, that could be your problem. I used contact cleaner and a plastic wire brush. If I had it to do again, I'd just disconnect the batteries and use a brass wire brush. There was also a part that I had to remove, a metal bracket that came on the new part. You may not have to remove it for yours. Also, pay close attention to the position of the shift shaft that comes out of the tranny and through the part. Make sure you put the switch in the same position when you install it. I believe I had to put mine in either neutral or drive to get it off, then I just turned the switch to the same position before I reinstalled the new part. I coated the connections with di-elec grease and coated everything else with silicone electrical protectant spray. Hope this helps.

and here's a thread with some gm techs discussing it

I also found the part number if you have the single connector, as it was within the 03 model year that it changed. Some were 2 connector and some were 1

Oh, and don't fret about the price in the first link. List on that part number is $113.44 but they sold it to me for $46.64. At the (GM)dealer it sells for like $60, but I have heard about people paying ridiculous amounts for it.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  11. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Recognizing that i voluntered as a plow drive, fully knowing the hazerds of my chozen proffesion i will endeavor to uphole the prestige, honor and high esprit de corps of my plowing unit.

Rangers lead the way
  12. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Thanks for the info sparky. I'll be sure to look into that. It sounds like that is the culprit.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah Sparky's right. I thought my tranny was going.
  14. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Neutral Start Back Up Switch. wesport

Sucks about all the issues right out of the gate this season. With anyluck things will be uphill from here on in. payup
  15. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

allison refers to it as mstl or something like that, but yeah the nsbu acronym stands for that.