1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Western Unimount Renewing project

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I have my Western Unimount Pro Plow that needed some work, so I decided to document the process over the next week or two, depending on how long it takes to get the unit ready for next years season. 2 years ago, I rebuilt the pump assembly, put new hoses, springs, shock and a bunch of other parts on it, so it shouldn't take much to get it back in primo condition.

So today, was disassemble day for the plow, A frame and quadrant. I started by loosening the trip springs from the drivers side, removing the shock, and disconnecting the drivers side ram. By doing this, it enabled me to get to bolts and nuts that could release the quadrant from the blade itself. I wanted to inspect the quadrant / A frame junction, and this seemed the best way to go about it. This is what it looked like upon removal of the two springs, shock and ram. I didn't want to open up the hydraulics just yet, as I want to completely flush everything and reseal the pump. Nothing leaks, but it was just a lot cleaner not dealing it the upper frame / tree just yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With full access to the 3 bolts that disconnect the quadrant from the blade, I removed the center bolt first, then disassembled the passenger side of the plow's ram and final spring. I felt that this was the safest way of making this happen, as I wasn't wanting to have the blade fall over on me as I was working on the passenger ram bolt.

I spun the rams around and zip tied them to the upper frame tree. This allowed me to remove the entire upper section as one unit, and no hydraulic fluid was spilled.

[​IMG]

Once the upper sector was isolated, I removed the two lower pins, and the entire unit just slid back a few inches. This allowed me to move anything out of the way which would trip me up, as I was lifting the unit on my own, without a second person to help. Tonga strong like bull, but trips over twig when twig get under foot.

[​IMG]

2. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Viewed from the other side:

[​IMG]

I lifted the unit off, and figured out how to balance it without killing myself. Now all I had to do was get it out of the way.

[​IMG]

Safe and sound. Not as heavy as I thought it would be. Didn't pull any muscles in my back, and now I have plenty of room to work on the rest of the plow.

[​IMG]

Here's the problem part of the assembly. I thought that there was too much play in the A assembly and the quadrant. Now I can finally figure out just how much..

[​IMG]

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

After unbolting the quadrant from the blade, I moved the blade to it's resting spot for the next few days. With it disconnected, I removed the single bolt connection and I was pleasantly surprised. I guess all the years of spraying white lithium grease in the joint after each and every storm paid off. There's barely any wear, as far as I can tell. There is a 3/4" bolt that runs between the quadrant and the A frame. The bolt fits really loose in the A frame and quadrant, but it's not all egged out like I thought it would be. Don't really know how much play there's supposed to be there, but it looks to be okay. I'm hoping Michnik can chime in, as he seems to be the guy who would know what a new A frame and quadrant looks like.

[​IMG]

It hardly looks worn at all. I have to find out just how much space or tolerance between the 3/4" bolt and mounting hole is really supposed to have.

[​IMG]

The bushing in the quadrant is distorted, and I'll be ordering a new one. It won't pull out of the quadrant very easily, as the base has expanded to the point it's too big to pull out of the hole. Again, without ever seeing this before I can only assume that the bushing is supposed to be removable.

[​IMG]

The inside of the quadrant looks to be in very good shape..

[​IMG]

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Need to send the hardware out to Ohio and have that punk Rick remove at old plowslick

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

There is some wear that I did find on the quadrant an the A frame. It's very minimal where the quadrant sits on the A frame's outermost projection arm. I can only assume that this was worn in the 16 to 18 years or so before I owned it, as I believe that this unit is from the early to mid 1990's. Still in good shape, though..a little beat up.

[​IMG]

The most wear on the quadrant is on the inner guide rail that lies on the A frame plate. It's sliding left and right on top of the A frame it's worn a little bit on the inner most rail. I didn't take any pictures of it, but I'll look it over more closely tomorrow. I don't know if I actually need to do anything about it or not, as the only thing I would be able to do would be to weld some new metal on the inner rail. Not sure if it's worth the effort or not.

I'm glad I took the plow apart. I must have hit a few piles pretty hard, as the 3 bolts that mount the blade to the quadrant were slightly bent. I'll be replacing most of the fasteners during the reassembly process, but at least for now, I'm pretty happy that not a lot of it is in need of attention.

To be continued.....

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yeah.... Tell me about it.... What a waste of time that was.

I may just have some of the parts blasted and powder coated..... or not. Not sure if it's worth all the hassle when a can of gloss black would do just fine, I'm sure...

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Now is the time redo the paint, it's in excellent shade overall.

You know your going to get a snow storm now

8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking good

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My thoughts too........:nod:

10. xgiovannix12

lol that would suck.... IT did get pretty cold I thought it was going to be rain but we might have another event after all payup

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeppers...they just forecasted a super storm heading in from Russia. The entire mid west and east coast.

Hey I will be watching ya...good post

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I can put it back together in a couple hours, if need be. They're calling for 50* F for the next week to 10 days, so I'm probably fine. Hopefully by then, I'll have it all reassembled and in storage anyway.

Will post more as I progress....

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Today, I stopped at the Western Plow dealer and bought a couple things I needed. First was the bushing for the quadrant / A frame juncture, and second was a reseal / oring kit for the isarmatic. I rebuilt it 2 years ago, but since I was tearing it all apart anyway, might as well freshen it up.

[​IMG]

Degreased and powerwashed the parts seen in the pic.

[​IMG]

The original bushing was shot, as seen below. It's supposed to sit proud of the quadrant.

[​IMG]

Difference between old and new bushing's height installed

[​IMG]

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

First repair...

Back, two years ago, I had to cut the original bolts off the quadrant to get the original rams off. Apparently, I cut into the support and never realized..

[​IMG]

Repaired... for visual, as it's worked well being cut for 2 years....

[​IMG]

The sliding rear arch support was worn after 20 years of use. The corresponding spot on the A frame was also worn. Next pics are my addressing these issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

More of the same repair to remove the gully, and add more meat to the girdle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I moved onto the A frame forward lower arm which holds the 3/4" bolt that the quadrant is connected to. The bolt moves around a bit, so I filled the worn out area so that it has a chance to wear itself out again over the next few decades..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

If the bolt fits.... stick it in ???

[​IMG]

Quadrant girdle with it's new metal added where it was worn out...

[​IMG]

Waiting on a quote from the powder coating co to see how much $$ to blast and coat these pieces..

Until next time.......

17. xgiovannix12

Nice welds glad birds not around :D

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I'm okay, I guess.

I rarely get time to practice, so I haven't developed a real feeling for it yet. Eventually, I guess. The reason I'm doing this when it really doesn't need it is because I want the practice...

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Looking good and you've made some good headway.

The Quadrant and "A" Frame look like they been glazed with Crispy Cream goodness........:nod:

I wonder how many other guys besides you and 1olddog had problems with the plow gizzzzzzzz.

20. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

No idea. The site is till up and running, so not enough negativity to stop him from selling any more