1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My western unimount plow lights, cant get to work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by thkjnc5, Dec 10, 2009.

1. thkjnc5

thkjnc5 Junior Member

Hey everyone, I have only one issue im trying to figure out but have been unsuccessful so here i am. I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota with a 6'6" western unimount plow. i have used the plow the last couple of nights without my plow lights workin. all my wiring is new except for the light harness is off a 2001 dodge. i have all new relays and have hooked everything up, (twice), and still cant get my lights to work. with the harness in place my truck lights work just fine, (low and high beams), but still no lights at all. i even thought it was because my plow wasnt turned on but that wasnt it either. i do know about that special harness needed for the park/turn signal and that is in place except for the turn signal bullet connector, but im not sure where that is exactly, but thats my turn signals not my lights, help, help, any and all. getting another storm on monday so i was wanting to get it done over the weekend. thanks again in advance from any help given, do i need to test something electrical, i have meters and such just dont know what to do

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

wrong harness, 00 uses a different harness than 01.

3. thkjnc5

thkjnc5 Junior Member

i know but i have the diagram for both of them and have made the change in the harness. the only difference in the two harness is the center wire on the lamp pigtails. i wired it acording to the 2000 diagram

4. coolgeo

coolgeo Junior Member

check the main ground cable from the truck if its attached to the pump it may not be grounding the plow mount frame witch your lights are attached to i had this problem with my unimount

5. Crash935

What did you do with the 4 wires with white stripes on them, do you have the diode between the high and plow high relays?

6. thkjnc5

thkjnc5 Junior Member

ok first off let me say thanks again for everyones help on this. ok coolgeo, r u refering to the power harness that comes from my truck to the plow that contains the ground wire and hot wire to operate the plow? and crash, if you were to compair and look at the two electrical plans for those harnesses u will notice that those white striped wires connect to the solid color on the driver side of the headlamp harness, iconnected them together as shown on the 2000 diagram and yes the 1 amp diode is in place on that high beam relay, but that diode would only affect my high beams, i get nothin. the more i think about it, it may be a grounding issue that coolgeo mentioned. should the plow itself have a ground leading to the negative battery side to ground the plow frame as he mentioned?

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

thkjnc5
    I believe what coolgeo is saying, The power wire for the plow is attach to the battery pos and neg terminals. On the plow side, there might be two terminals on the pump. One for pos, and neg. The neg on the pump might not be grounding the "plow frame". You might be able to put another (short) ground wire from the neg post on the pump and to the plow frame.

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Something to think about ( I might be wrong)
    year 2000 is "positive" headlight ground
    2001 is "negative" headlight ground

9. Crash935

Do you have the brown wire hooked up to the marker lights on the truck? Relays get power from the marker light signal.

10. thkjnc5

thkjnc5 Junior Member

Thanks guys for all the help. I will be working on my plow lights in the morning so ill let everyone know what i find out and how its fix, thanks again everyone