1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Western Uni-Mount Restoration

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by nwilson1211, Nov 23, 2012.

1. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

I decided to restore my Western Uni-mount plow during this past off-season. I took the blade off, then had some fab work and welding done at a local shop, then I had the whole blade media blasted to remove the rust and cancer. I then used some glazing putty to fill the pits from the rust. Sanded then sprayed some Sherwin Williams Kem-Kromic followed by several coats of Sherwin Williams Urethane Alkyd Enamel. I purchased a new set of decals from Ebay. I didn't get around to doing the frame, just the blade. Maybe next summer I will get the frame done. I have posted some before, during, and after pics.

2. nwilson1211

A couple more "after" pictures...

3. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

That came out great, looks like a new plow. Good luck with it this winter.
  4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Looks great! too bad you couldnt get to the frame this year!
  5. nwilson1211

Thanks! It turned out to be a labor of love more than anything. I almost went back with powder coat, but did quite a bit of research and decided to go this route. It seems like the powder coat is almost too good - meaning that the coating holds together too well and rust will sneak in behind if you get a small nick or hole in the coating. At least with this coating, I can repaint as often as needed.
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Nice work. Looks like a new blade.
  7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

good job ive redone 4 so far they are great plows so simple and reliable. in the future do not buy decals on ebay western will ship them to you for free just email them
  8. nwilson1211

Good to know about the decals! That's probably how the seller on Ebay got them! What paint do you use, randomb0b123?
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i have never done the moldboard stripping/paint i send them out and have them sandblasted and painted or powdercoated. i had the one powdercoated blue because i just had to have a bindford snow plow. the others have been safety red. not a perfect match but close enough for no one to notice or complain
  10. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Looks great . How did you go about painting the wings?
  11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

that looks great nice job
  12. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

Nice job. I did a similar treatment, even donwn to painting the wings to match my proplow 8'.
  13. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Nice job. I agree with you on the powder coating. It probably works good in CA but up north in the salt it is no place for powder coat. :nod: