1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my weekend paint project..

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Apr 10, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

so this sat, i sprayed my explorer. i'd wanted to 2tone it since i bought it in 2003.

the new color is GM cappichino silver, with a silver metal flake over it.

i started striping it monday..then taping, sadning, fixing door dings..ect

sat i sprayed everything, started putting to back together sunday and this week. i love how it turned out..i wanted somthing alittle different and standing out more then every other truck out there.

thought i'd share
  2. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

That's definitly different, but not over the top, "look at me!" Nice work, especially being done in house.

I like the exaust tips too
  3. 91AK250

i actuly used a good friends booth, he is the local boss snowplow dealer and does truck/van bodys..ect so he has a nice booth that he lets me use on the weekends..if it wasnt for him i wouldnt have been able to do any of it.

thanks, the exhaust tips are filthy dirty :( but yeah i wanted subtle but custom..i think i got it.
  4. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

pretty sweet!
  5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

That looks realyy good, u did a very goos job! Looks sweet!:drinkup:
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Nice job. I wish I knew how to paint like that. Wanna come paint my black truck red?? lol
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice that looks really cool
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

looks good Ive gotta say thats the first time Ive ever seen an explorer with a custom paint job and a spoiler.
  9. 91AK250

haha thanks guys! the paint is very neat when the sun hits it..the metal flake goes all crazy.

ABES, like anything theres a explorer following...some people have some crazy trucks. the wing on the back is basicly to mimick the saleen explorer wing..just gives it a neat look.
    (saleen explorer below)
  10. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Looks nice, want to paint my explorer? lol

Its actually so bad in person (it was fixed with a hi-lift after the rollover) that I picked up a new body last week. Still no time to swap it yet.
  11. 91AK250

VBigFord20, you wouldnt happen to be "Premier" over on explorerforum would you? i used to spend time there untill i was banned awhile back haha i remeberd your explorer..but back when it had the built ford tough stickers on it and it was all black lol small world!

body swap eh? hope it goes smoothly..i havent attemped anything like that yet.
  12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Looks nice. I also like the exaust tips. My buddy put dual tips with a kit shipped in custom from Canada, and put them on his jeep. It was AWESOME. Sounded like a diesel. But it was totaled when he was hit by a somalian teen without a lisence.
  13. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Now the only way to recovery is to admit you have a painting problem first. No haha jking. most of us know how much you like to paint your trucks:nod:
  14. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Nice, I like the colors.
  15. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

No, thats probably my friend Dave. He was the original builder/owner of it. Since then a few other friend had there hands on it and did a number to it. It was so messed up a year ago that the guy who had it was actually going to part it out. I could not stand to see that happen since I knew what a nice truck it once was so I bought it and have been rebuilding it since.

When I stood back and looked at the overall picture I realised the body was just far to damaged to save thanks to this...

It was crushed real bad, the A pillar is still fairly mangled from it. Im going to pull the body at some point this summer when I have time and do some work on the frame. There are a few spots where it needs gussets due to the hard life it lived. I need to redesign the steering system, going to go with a high steer setup with a hydro assist.

All the drive terrain is in good shape. About all I need to do there is change fluids since it has been sitting in my barn for a year.

Then the new body is going on and will be painted satin black. Once thats done its getting a full exo cage so no more body will happen. All and all it most likely wont see the road untill the 09 season since I got a lot of work planned and little time to do it.

Heres the new body I picked up cheep with no motor and trans and very little rust.
  16. 91AK250

ahh, lol sorry!

i love big projects like that, i have yet to attempt somthing so big..but i'd love to somtime. its like anythign else the pay off is amazing. goodluck with it an post up some pics when you go about the swap.
  17. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great!!!
  18. Up North

Up North Senior Member

looks good, you definitely have a talent for painting. You're the one that had the truck that was painted an orangish color correct?

19. 91AK250

yup, i painted my plow truck burnt orange this past fall :)

so i wet sanded and buffed it today..and also installed my fender flares and polished my exhaust tips.

20. 91AK250