1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My used Snowex 575 looks tacky ughhhh

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jwsland, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jwsland

jwsland Junior Member

I recently bought a used 575mini pro that a local plow dealer was selling though craigslist. There were two pictures of the spreader posted, one of the discharge area, and another of the side. $399 working condition with the control box sounded like a great price. When I got there to look at it I noticed that someone wrote in sloppy handwriting "snow plowing" and a phone number right across the top with perm marker, then decided to scribble it out (are you effin kidding me? haha). Then whoever they sold the spreader too must have covered it up with a sign because there are screw holes that appeared to hold a sign that covered it. I bought it anyway because it was the cheapest working snow ex of my size preference with a control box in my area. Any ideas/suggestions on removing the marker? I'm embarrassed to post pictures of it :laughing:
  2. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Yellow paint
  3. TSherman

TSherman Member

Try a product called "goof off" you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.
  4. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

If goof-off or acetone won't work you can sand it off. Start with 120 grit and go up to 300,700, 1000,3000 and finish off with a RED scothbrite. You will want to do the whole box so its all looks uniform. Orbital sander will work the best.
  5. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Come on! I wanna see pics!!!!
  6. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

X2 with pics haha
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Carb cleaner...best to use is super tech from walmart. Not only is it the cheapest, it works better than gumout, crc, etc.
  8. jwsland

jwsland Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Why won't a chemical remover work? I'd be hesitant to take a sander to the textured finish. Yellow paint might be tough to match up, I'd have to paint the whole thing and I would definitely end up making a mess. I'm still undecided. There always the option to put another sign on it....

Okay there it is. Tacky huh? :nod: :blush2:

9. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Call the number and ask them wtf they were thinking!
  10. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Hey, that's my handwriting!
  11. jwsland

jwsland Junior Member

Exactly what I was thinking!

I'm going to see what I can do with what I have in the shop tonight.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Just make another sign to fit....
  13. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

On the one we will get I plan on doing just that. Attatch our sign on it.

### - %%% - ****

Fully Insured
    Com. / Res.
  14. jwsland

jwsland Junior Member

Carb cleaner and other sprays just faded it. I used a couple different wire wheels very lightly to get the job done. Still not perfect and I didn't really devote much time to it. Big improvement though!

15. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

Much better!
  16. turfman59

turfman59 Member

LMAO that was funny ...It really looked like a Bucked tooth Hillbilly
  17. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Just put some DOT tape over it. Than if someone hits it they really can't say I didn't see it. I'm doing it on mine.
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo, right on!
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like its in great shape for $400.00!
  20. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Wow, looks great man... Lmao, really i dont get people... Why would some one do that? lol