1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my trucks hate me!!!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Jan 22, 2015.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

last year the E-60 on the 04 and the E47 on the 2000 decided after the first storm they no longer wanted to hold in up.. so i replaced the lift piston seals.

back in october i went over all 5 pumps, to make sure all was ready. cleaned all connections, changed oil, and tested all 4 pumps.
    today i mounted the plows for the expected snow tomorrow.
    the E60 on the 02 and the E47 on the 79 decided they do not want to hold in up.
    and of course i forgot to get more rebuild kits.
    at least they only creep down instead of dropping rite away, so i will be able to use them.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Dont all meyer guys just keep 3 extra pumps laying around so they can swap out when this happens?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

weld the chain.

4. tjctransport

no idea. this is the first time this has happened to me. i always had at least one kit in the garage though, and at least one extra pump because of the meyer haters selling them cheap.
    the pump on the 79 was put on it 82 or 83, and this is the first time i ever had to do anything to it besides oil change every year.
    the E47 in the 88 was put on it in oct of 88 and has never had anything besides the yearly oil change.
    the E60 on the 02 was bought used and put on 6 years ago after the truck was hit breaking the E-47 that was on it.
    the E47 on the 2000 was put on new in 2000 and last year was the first time it was messed with besides the yearly oil change.
    and the E60 on the 04 is age unknown, i bought that 6 years ago for $300 and put it on the truck.
    i usually get E47's for between $150 and $200, and E60's for between $250 and $350.

i keep the E60's, and sell the E47's for $300 each.
    i usually buy and sell 5-6 pumps per year.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That seems like an awful lot of work every year. I might be reading it wrong but if I had to do that every year I'd be looking at changing plow manufacturers

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

agreed put a western or a boss and you're worries are over. At least for the time being jk. A lot less break downs imo

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How is only changing fluid once a year for 27 years a lot of work? :laughing:

8. tjctransport

yea really. i wish these meyer haters would stay in their beloved plow pages and tell their lies there.

it is because of these guys that i get my meyer parts so cheap. i love it when they go pay $4000 for a new plow so they can have the newest out there and sell me their perfectly good 8.5 foot blade, E60 pump, and full mount kit for $600

9. tjctransport

arrrrggggghhhhh!!! when it rains it pours!!!
    i went to fire up the new to me miller bobcat welder to weld a patch in a neighbors chevy dump body and found water in the oil!!
    i guess the "weather tight case" ain't!
    now i have to wait a few hours for the 40 degree oil/water mix to drain out so i can flush the crank case and refill it with clean oil, and then put a cover on it so it don't happen again.

10. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: what happened to the rebuilt e 60 for 300 buck you bought a few weeks back.is it not working . I run a few Meyers set ups .e 60s ,rebuild a few hundred last year and this year ,great extra money in winter months .but when my 98 Silverado rusted into I bought a 2007 and put western wide out on it .now I cant seem to get in any of my other trucks .I think the wide out has ruined me :laughing: cant get anuff plowing time in now .I keep 1 extra e 60 for spare .used it 1 time last year because c valve or cross over went south .when you put new ram packing in make sure inner cylinder is good .hone it to make sure ,then they will last .

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Another option would be to switch to a Haldex or Monarch pump and install a lift piston. A typical Haldex kit with wiring and controls can be purchased from Northern tool for $700 the lift piston $150. I had switched over a few MD series Meyers plows eliminating the Meyer / lift and pump and when all was said and done, it worked very quickly and for under $1000

12. tjctransport

that is the one that is on the truck now.

why would i throw away $1000 per truck when i can spend $12 on a packing cup and o-ring per plow?
    i have 5 plow trucks on the road.
    could rebuild every one of my pumps every year for as long as i live, and still never come close to spending that kind of money.