1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my truck stalls what I make left or right turns... help please?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PlowOrDie, Jan 12, 2008.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

I have a very strange problem with my truck...

everytime i make a left or right turn, it stalls.... it is VERY dangerous...

it is a 1997 dodge ram 2500...

what could be the problem??

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

just an idea or two.

Is the power steering pump going bad??
    ?I'm sure it would have trashed the belt by now??

next start your truck and then giggle the ignition switch...

just an idea...:confused:

3. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

sno,

let me describe the situation a little better here...

when i make turns, the engine shuts off.... all of my lights and everything stay on... the power steering shuts off, making it VERY hard to keep the truck in the turning motion...I then have to immediatly turn on my hazards (for SOME safety), put the truck into park, and then re-start it.

I dont have the foggiest idea what it could be...

this truck is just a huge money pit... its really aggrivating me.. all of my profits seem to be going back into this apparent lemon of a truck...

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

that sounds like what my buddys powerstroke dose when the belt jumps off being a diesel its got to batts so it will run all day with out the belt till it over heats or the batts die. id say check ur belts it could be a bad pump whenn u demand on it it binds up and the blet stops running

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's a good one..

If the power steering was doing it you would have trashed the belt by now, don't you think?

You would think it would be making all kinds of noise and trashing the belt of it was the power steering?

Does it do it sitting still and you turn the wheel?
    Is it like it is just turned off?
    or does it bog down first then die any noises?

Does the voltage drop??

Just thinking of some ideas???:waving:

6. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Just a thought, Have you checked the Grounds(engine to frame, bed to cab/ frame)? my dodge did some wierd s**t when it lost the ground to cab from the bed (wipers turned on by themselves,turn blinkers worked then did not radio came on went off by it's self and finnaly it would start/run then just die as yours does, only while going down road an hitting bumps!. BAD GROUND!!! go figure.

7. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Check for engine codes

if it a gas motor in could be a tps ,throttle posistion sensor

you might also check your battery cables,i had a bad connection one time that would cause stalls on a dakota.

Have any other problems other than the ones you pointed out?

8. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

alright... im starting to think more and more here... i just took it out for a spin, and i have more of a description to add...

it seems to shut off only when I am not throttling while i turn. For example, when I come to a stop light/sign, then hit the gas while i am turning, about 95% of the time it will not stall. Now when I have to brake going around a turn (no gas) it putters out and shuts off. My ABS as well as my Check Engine lights are on. (The ABS light has been on since I had to get some linkage and a vacuum line pump for my 4 wheel drive repaired, so I have no idea if this has anything to do with my problem.)

My heater in the truck seems to vary in terms of strength from time to time, recently. For example, I will put it on full blast... then I can hear it getting weaker, then it jumps right back up to full strength. It repeats this vicious cycle. (once again, i have no idea if this has anything to do with my problem at hand, for this truck seems to be sprouting up many problems for me)

9. tom_mccauley

Have your "Tech" check your grounds! I never would have thought all those problems could have arisen from a bad bed to cab ground!!!!.

10. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

This is a gas motor right?

Check the grounds,cable ends,and the TPS

My guess is the tps is bad

11. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

What speed are we talking about? If very low speed it could be the vehicle speed sensor. At very slow vehicle speed if a load is applied to engine such as turning it will tell the computer to speed the engine up slightly to avoid stalling. I have replaced several on chrysler product over the last few years.

12. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I'm no mechanic by any means. Just some thoughts...

Please clarify Gas or Diesel.

The ABS code - I believe you can reset, short of a true failure and then that's another story.

The stalling when going around a corner.
    Assuming it's gas, not diesel:
    Fuel level in the tank? below a 1/4 of a tank, maybe the (in tank) fuel pick up is sucking air when the gas sloshes going around corners..

13. tom_mccauley

Didn't think of that one!

14. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

dies

carb or injection carb float level injection fuel filter !

15. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

it is a gas engine.

i have driven many times below 1/4 tank of gas, so i dont know if that is the problem...

im assuming most of my turns are taken at a slow speed of about 5 mph...

16. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

At 5mph I'll bet on speed sensor. Mine always got me while trying to pull into a parking space. Turning and apply the brakes would slow the engine enough to stumble and stall.

Hope that helps.

17. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

TPS...throttle positioning sensor...what's going on is when yoru turning, your truck requires more RPM to power the pump, therefore your trucks motor is not getting enough power/gas to turn so it...stalls out.....hence y when you smash ur gas while turning the problem is non-existent..also sometimes it could very well be an intake vaccum leak......

18. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

If it's stalling due to the additional load applied by power steering at idle (foot off accelerator) then the engines idle control system could be at fault. Also with the heater changing this could be a vacuum problem. The computer may be doing it's best to compensate for a vacuum leak and keep engine idling but as soon as a small load applies (steering) it can no longer control idle and eng. stalls. See if you can steer lock to lock in park. If you can, you most likely have an idle control problem.

19. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I have a 97' Ram 2500 with the same problem, except it stalls when I come to a stop, and seems to happen a lot more when it is very cold out. I have had the truck for 3 years and have never been able to figure it out. Very annoying.

20. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya know my mom had a van that would do that shoot now i started typing i cant remember what the heck was wrong with that thing