1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My truck likes to eat fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blee1ash, Jun 20, 2006.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I have a '95 Chevy K1500, 5.7L TBI. I have had 3 new fuel pumps in the last year and a half, less than 12000mi. All of the fuel pumps have been from NAPA, this time I'm going with an AC DELCO. Anyone else had problems like this, or have any ideas or suggestion as to why the fuel pump keeps going bad?
    Thank You.
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'm on my third from the dealership. The current one I have makes no sound while the previous two were loud enough to hear inside the truck. Not sure what goes bad or even which pumps the dealership used in the past. This one came with a lifetime warranty and is suppose to be a new design from Chevy.

It's on a '97 5.7L. I've since replaced the presure regulator, filter and some line.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

My understanding is after market fuel pumps don't last as long as the GM OE fuel pumps, don't know why but have heard that by not changing your fuel filter enough it shorten's there life.

Good Luck Mike
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Mine (2000 1/2 ton ext. cab) has had a high pitched whine to it since I bought the truck in 2001. But I haven't had to replace it, still whines, some days louder then others but still works. And I've never replaced the fuel filter...I know, I know, I need to do that. Have over 116,500 miles on it now and still runs like a champ. (knock on wood).

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Do you guys run your gas tanks real low? If you do that could be part of the problem. With the pumps in the tank, they use the fuel to help cool them so if they are getting exposed then they could start to over heat and fail.

6. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

The original pump on my 99 K3500 died at about 80,000 miles. I replaced it with a NAPA pump ($469 for the pump alone). That pump failed earlier this year at about 170,000 miles. Fortunately, NAPA has a lifetime warranty, so the second one was free. Dropping the tank was a PITA (all the sand and grit drops in your face), but I have a gooseneck hitch in the bed and didn't want to mess with that going the bed removal route.

Joe Padavano
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My '99 Silverado 2500 does the exact same thing. Some days the whine is louder than others and some days you can't here it at all.