1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Truck Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sledrider2005, Dec 15, 2012.

1. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

I have a 2003 2500hd 6.0 85000 miles and the service engine light has been flashing when i drive 70-75 mph anything below that and its fine. So i took it to my buddy and he scanned it and the computer said general misfire. He suggested plugs and wires. So we put them in today and it didn't help cylinders 1&6 have the most misfire history. Next step is we ran to the parts store and got the only coil they had for it and replaced coil number 1. It still detects a misfire in that cylinder and now the rest of the cylinders are starting to show misfire readings. But it idles right at 600rpm and runs good and smooth. My other issue is the speedometer does work when cold then starts working but doesn't read correct when i stop and shut of the truck and start it up it will work fine . Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated thanks jarrett
  2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Usually after replacing plug/wires you bounce the suspect coils around to other cylinders and see if the misfire moves. If so then you have a coil problem, if not then you have an injector issue. You can carefully pull the injector and swap that around too and see if the misfire moves but you might better just replace the injector and clean the fuel rail while it is off.
  3. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Rusted / Rotted - Body / Frames Ground Wires can give you the Flashing CEL ... at higher RPM's

Instrument Cluster Stepper Motors are on their way out - I think it's easier to replace the Cluster with a Re-man one than repairing each - See Flea Bay for a cluster Swap ... or other places

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Do a CKP (crankshaft position sensor) re-learn first. Then check the intake manifold gaskets carefully for vacuum leaks.
  5. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Stepper Motors

The stepper motors in the cluster are easy to fix. You can get all of them on ebay for under $50.00 and change them in an hour with basic skills. If you change the cluster the miles will not be right as they are stored in the cluster and not the computer.:mechanic:
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I believe the BCM resets the cluster mileage, if not the PCM/ECU should. They all communicate with each other so the mileage cannot be tampered with.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Have to agree with this one.

My 8.1 (crank position sensor had a recall) did the same thing. Detected a misfire when running fine, but had other issues pointing the the crank sensor.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Just had this very issue with my 05 chevy with the 6.0. It would show a radom misfire turned out to be a bad knock sensor which is under the intake manifold. Cost me about $450.00 to have my guy change it, worked great. He did try a relearn first but that didn't solve the issue.

9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Accuweather is at 16" for here on Thursday.
  10. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Chevy Speedo

I just replaced a friends with a cluster from a 2007 with 160k on it. He had to go to the dealer to have the ODO set back to 110k. I know it sounds stupid that the miles are stored in the cluster but were dealing with GM here.

Also look on ebay if you buy a new one you need to submit the company selling them a form with your ODO reading so they can set it.

I was warned about this when i was looking for a low mile 2500hd and have seen the problem first hand if your in the market for a gmc/chevy do your homework first. I can only say as far as I know it pertains to the 03-07 but could be more.
  11. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

x2 on crank relearn ,

been there
  12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Don't waste your time or money buying one in the aftermarket world or trying to fix the cluster yourself. I just sent my Tahoe's cluster in for a complete rebuild and it only cost $110 plus shipping one way to www.gmgaugerepair.com I am real happy how it turned out and you can still drive your truck while they repair it. Only took 3 days from remove to install
  13. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

I would go to the dealer and see if they would fix the cluster under recall. I know you are over the year and mileage recall(7yr/70K miles), but my truck was over the year,under mileage, recall when they fixed it.