1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my truck is driving me nuts...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CornerStoneProp, Jul 19, 2013.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I have started to fix all the stuff the PO neglected so I replaced the manifold and steering box on the driver side. Now I have headlight but no dash lights. Also no Speedo or odometer at all. Also no running lights in the back and clearance lights on top stopped working. Radio works and engine starts and works perfect for having old fuel (it smokes alot). Truck is a 96 F350 5speed 7.3 with only 66k miles. Front brakes also needed to be done as well as wheel bearings were too tight so I put in New ones. Any ideas would be helpful. I did find that half of the fuse panel to the left of steering wheel is dead key on or off.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

check fuses maybe theres a ground wire either on the frame or on the battery that's loose or came off. check the fuses in the dash and under the hood also if you got a Chilton manual that helps sometimes.

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Also for the speedo there's a a piece ( I forgot the name) on top of rear pumpkin that might need to be changed.its bolted to the top.

4. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor. Check it to make sure it doesn't have all kinds of metal crap stuck to it before you replace it.

Also swap out the headlight switch. That is usually to blame for most dash wiring funkiness. The wiring is undersized and they like to get hot and melt, particularly on trucks with cab lights.

5. CornerStoneProp

headlight switch has been changed and still have the same issue.... I don't understand why the running lights and speedometer all failed at the same time. I was hoping one wire powered both and that would explain it!

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My 94 F150 did that to me once, I want to say it was something in the tail light area that had corroded and needed to be re-soldered/connected. I'm going by memory but that was over 10 years ago

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I had a similar issue with my 96 Bronco and I want to say the cause was something similar (taillight related, maybe trailer wiring). It blew a fuse and the dash would go out.

8. CornerStoneProp

Found a couple faulty wires all fixed! Sometimes it pays to let an expert have a look. Best $160 I spent so far! Now to find a subframe for the bed and replace the passenger door should be able to make some money with it. Only minor stuff left except the subframe for the dump. Anyone know of a PTO bed 8.5 to 9 feet near CT?