1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My truck is acting funny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Dec 9, 2006.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well here the problem my 99' w/5.3 will start the shut off like it ran out of fuel (but I can here the fuel pump running till it qiuts) this is an intermittent problem.
    It seems like it looses fuel pressur, it runs for only a few seconds then quits, this can happen serveral times till it stays running., I'm affraid that one of these times it will leave me stranded. I was wondering if it could be a dirty element on the map sensor?
  2. DJ Contracting

Hello come on guys.

Somebody has to know.
  3. joe b

joe b Junior Member

I had a similar problem with another brand of car. Fuel press regulator had failed. everyone assumed there was fuel becouse the pump was running. My buddy put a fuel press guage on and guess what? press would rise for start than drop like a rock and the engine would quit. $35 later I was back on the road.
  4. DJ Contracting

Yeah that sounds like what mine is doing, just thought somebody would have encountered this at one time or another.
  5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

regulators on a GM are becoming a maint. item. You might as well replace it every 30k at the failure rate they have.
  6. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Most common causes are fuel system problem, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulators. Just cause you here the fuel pump doesn't mean its got fuel pressure. Check fuel pressure, On these systems 5 psi under spec can cause starting troubles and driveability issues.

Is the MIL (check engine, service engine soon) on? Any trouble when you get it running?

7. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Sounds to me like you are going to have to buy a very expensive part. about $30,000 actually, they'll have it at your local Ford Dealer. Part number is F-350.
  8. DJ Contracting

I don't think so

First there is no mil light on and second I had worked @ a Ford dealership for fifteen years, and have no intenions on buying a Ford. I remember that we used to have to clean the sensor on Ford map sensors, anyway that was a Ford. Just wondered if GM might have had that problem?
  9. DJ Contracting

I might have misled you guys when I said that the Map sensor might need cleaning what I meant was the mass airflo sensor. Heres what happened just moments ago when it acted up. I unhooked/rehooked up the sensor (mass airflo), it did not start, so I tapped on the mass airflo sensor and pressed the remote start and it started. So this leads me to think it's the mass sensor.