1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Truck Is A Piece...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Dec 22, 2006.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

ARGG!! guys, listen to this one. so my 83 chevy k10 wouldn't start after being away at school for a month...last time i started it, it took a while, but then it ran alright. this time, nothing doing. so i had my buddy take a look at it and we tried to pop the clutch going down my driveway but the delivery man pulled up and we had to slam on the brakes, thereby killing the engine. after that, we tried jumping it several times, and it didnt work either. at this point it was already down the street as we tried to pop the clutch again going downhill but to no avail. so i spent 60 bucks on a new battery and a new ground wire (mine was shot) and the truck ran. THEN, we get up my driveway again and park it and all of a sudden, i hear fluid coming out of somewhere...i look down and i see brake fluid pouring from the driver's side line!!!! therefore, I HATE MY TRUCK b/c there are always things going wrong with it (being that it is so old) and i decided today, to give it to charity/sell it. anyone agree in my decision? hahaha thanks for the time to rant.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

If it is costing you more to nickel and dime fix, then get rid of it. I had many an experience with this sort of thing and found it was better to part with it. Depending on how much and what it cost to fix per month or whatever, it might me cheaper to just have a truck payment and have something reliable.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i think its time to buy a newer truck

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its an 83 for God's sake,lol We had a 94 that was in decent shape but after we were done with it it was like new. My point is that if you dont have the time and or money to make it like new instaed of patching it together then yes its time for a new truck.

5. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

Ok you have to think how much you will spend on a new truck then add auto insurance, tags . sounds like you don't use a truck much so do you want a payment on something sitting in the driveway. the battery $60, brake line and fluid $40 buck max to run new line from master cylinder to rear . I tend to think maintaining a older truck is more cost effective . but if your not handy with a wrench or have more money then time new is great .
    if no one bought new there wouldn't be used trucks for the rest of us.

6. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

thanks for the advice everyone. i think i'm gonna have to ponder a little about this one. hope everyone is luckier than i am lol

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I agree, I'd rather have a REGULAR payment every month and the peace of mind of knowing my truck will start when I need it to.

However, depending on your income, that may not be feasible. I have 2 sisters who are in college, and neither can afford a car payment.....yet.

So, unless you don't mind the aggravation or have a good friend who's a mechanic, it may be time to bite the bullet.

8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

New or Old....

Hi,
    Here is my .02......Whether New or Old you have to maintain your truck.Your vehicle will treat you the way that you treat it...Sometimes S#@T happens beyond your control but typically it is just maintenance.
    I don't think there is anything worse than having a vehicle sit for periods of time....having run spreaders the trucks I would park for the warm months would need twice the work of the ones I ran year round...Thats after steam cleaning and lubing before putting away etc...
    As stated above if you can afford to have a payment sit then by all means..Without new there wouldn't be used and I wouldn't find any bargains....

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If the truck is physically in good shape (bodywise) you can fix anything else easily and cost effectively. If the truck sits for extended periods these things are bound to happen, and it also makes it hard to justify a newer truck to sit and do the same thing.

Obviously the line blew from the sudden hit on the brakes. I did the same thing on our first and only snow, mounting the plow on the '78 K30... blew the line from the master cylinder to the prop valve. PITA but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

If you are plowing with it, certainly it makes more money per night than it costs to fix it.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would add that the frame has to be good also. If the body, frame, backing plates, fuel and brake lines are rotted, then its not worth fixing, but if it only needs lines and maybe some rockers, cab corners, I say keep it. If you dont know how to do the work you can learn. There are few things in this world easier to work on than a 73-87 Chevy pickup. I'd check the frame for soundness first, just bang on the framerails in the rear fender wells with a hammer. If it goes through, it is no good. If a shower of rust falls to the ground but the frame holds, you're in business. Then replace all the brake and fuel lines, just buy a cheap tool that will cut and flare, and have a ball. You may run into trouble with the bleeders on an old rusty dog, but even if you go through the entire braking system you won't break a hundred bucks and then you will know it is all new. I've built a couple Chevy trucks this way, if you start with a saveable truck it won't cost much at all to make it right. And parts are so cheap! Let us know, if you have any questions post them here and one of us will know.

PS. I keep thinking about changing my sig to read "I want Dereks truck". Gotta love a purpose built truck.:D :salute:

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Hahahaha well the line starts over there!!! purplebou

Yeah, I love my old truck... its a snow fightin' machine!!!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So I guess what your saying is that anything that your making a payment on will always start? Tell that to my buddy with the '06 F-350. He went to leave for work on fri, jumped in the truck and it wouldn't start! LOL! Yea,anything can break but like the other guys said, how you care for a truck make's a difference in how reliable it is.

13. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

thanks a lot for the advice again...i took a look underneath it today and i decided it is time for a new/newer truck...where the frame meets the suspension is totally rotted and it's only a matter of time until that goes, and when it does, that would be a disaster driving down the street. i'm thinking about a late 90s early 2000 chevy or dodge 1500 and not ford b/c i've seen crash tests of the ford f-150 at 40mph...not a good thing. any pros and cons of both trucks? best plow/truck combinations? thanks

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends how much you want to spend. I would vouch for a Dodge 2500 Cummins. Cant go wrong there; and you gotta love the 1994-2002 Cummins motor! Just my 0.02:salute: