1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My truck is a friggin gas hog!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, May 21, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS reg.cab long bed 4x4, 6.0 V8 cast iron heads, 4L80E trans and 4.10 gears. I say that because the 6.0's are mostly all aluminum, I just got the rare one I guess. The truck has 95k on the clock and a new trans with only 7k on it. I dont have a lead foot and the tire size is 265/75R16. Brakes are new, etc. I dont tow a big trailer at all, 6.5ftx10ft which weighs 880 lbs. I only have my weedwacker, edger, mower and lawn boy on it. I get maybe 5-7 mpg towing the trailer and maybe 8-10mpg with out. Mind you the plow frame is off, etc so it is a bare truck. I keep up on ALL maintenance, just did oil change, and new air filter. What I dont get is it got 14 mpg in the winter with 600-800 lbs of salt in it, the plow, tools, in 4x4, pushing snow. Now bare bones truck gets worse mileage. I dont get it. What is making this thing suck the gas down so friggin bad?? It has a slight leak in the exhaust gasket on the manifold, but it was like that in the winter. I wouldnt think that would cause it to be such a hog. Any help or ideas or anything would be appreciated. And NO I am not gonna get a new truck either.
  2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

that is preety bad considering my 8.0 V10 gets 10-12 unloaded and about 7-8 with a trailer. i thought you said in an earlier post you were going to get a new truck what happened??
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I was going to, but my grandfather talked me out of it. I need more equipment and such for my company rather than a newer truck.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I have a 2000 2500ecsb, 6.0 (iron heads, I think the aluminum ones are only in the Vettes), 4.10's, etc. I get about 12 in the winter when I'm not plowing, 13.5 in the summer when they change the mixture. Your mileage is down but its not hat bad.

Chek the usual items...tire pressure (60 up front, 80 in the back), alignment, sticky parking brake, plugs, wires, air and fuel filter, run some seafoam through the gas tank and maybe do the intake manifold too.

The 6.0 is a gas pig...if you get near 15mpg you're doing really well...especially with the 4.10 gears.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Syden, If your exhaust leak has gotten worse (even just a little) since the winter time, it definitely could affect you gas mileage as the O2 sensor will give an incorrect reading back to the PCM since it's gonna be seeing too much oxygen content in the exhaust due to the leak upstream from it.
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks guys!!!:waving: Yeah B&B, I need to get under that thing and do the exhaust and the 02 sensor. I dont expect this thing to get 18-20 mpg,lol but 12 would be nice.
  7. payton

payton Senior Member

time for a tune up.

new exhaust- intake. tune up and theres no reason you cant be up around 12-13 mpg. never hurts to up your tire size also.

8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Under normal driving my 2006 6.0L gets 11.5mpg on average. I dunno why im getting these numbers and others are getting around 13 and some 14s and 15s. My numbers are the same whether city or highway driving. and trust me i baby the gas pedal!
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do they have summer formula gas in your area? They start putting alcohol in ours because the EPA makes them. It drops your MPG in the summer.
    Plus the air is warmer so the engine does not work as efficient as cold air.
    You may have more wind resistance from the trailer then a load of salt, pulling the MPG down.
    If the truck is OBD II it may have 2 to 4 -->O2 sensors. One before and one after each catalytic converter. It will say OBD II on the emissions sticker under the hood. With 95k on it, the truck may still have the first sets of O2 sensors on it.
  10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes they sure do, since I am only 40 miles or so north of you up in Lake County. I hate all the bullcrap that they do to gas to just rob us. I know towing my trailer, which is only 6.5 ft x 10 ft cuts the mpg's, but it is horrible completly empty!! Yes it is OBDII, (2000) and it does have 4 o2 sensors. I dont wanna replace them all at 100 bucks a piece!!! But if I have to, then I will. Thanks!!:waving:
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you do decide to replace the O2 sensors as PM, just replace the front two. The two rear after cat O2's won't affect your gas mileage on the OBDII vehicles.
  12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bad (choke) milage

get used to it ,i got one 01 2500hd 6.0 litre they got 4:10 gears remember your window sticker (epa mileage estimates do not apply.i am a very Conservative driver the best i got was 13.4 mpg summer 8.5 mpg plowing,want better mileage get a 1/2 with 3:73 gears ,its hard to get power and economy at the same time!
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My truck is ancient it gets 10 MPG on a good day with a 5.8 and a 3 spd auto. If we want good mileage we would buy a little truck that can't haul 20 bales of hay. I bought a Malibu with 36K on it for cheap for my daily driver. It's nice to fill it once a week.
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my milage is fine