1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My truck buying thread

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Mar 31, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im VERY sorry to bring this up again, but I have gotten SUCH GREAT advice here. I am still looking for my first truck. I dont want to spend alot (arond $1500) because I will be getting a nicer plow truck in two years. I am searching a few sites, including craigslist. And my neighbor knows someone selling. I would like to post some here and get some opinions. Again, sorry, I feel like Im always asking about something new, but you guys are around them more than me. None of these trucks are great, but I just want to get around town, and haul some lawnmowers, snowblowers, and lumber. If you have some free time, pleas post a comment or two.

First, heres a rust bucket, Id get it without the plow or dumper. (suprised it can hold it)
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/625123053.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/610398409.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/600824011.html

Can ya tell I like Fords?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What do you do during the summer for a job? I'm assuming you need a truck to pull a trailer of mowers around during the summer? If I were you, I'd spend a little more on a truck, because you need it for 2 years until you can save up to buy a nicer one. But if you don't have more to spend, there's not much you can do. I know how that is. I'd say that the first truck has quite a bit of rust on it for the price and for $1500 the plow should come with the truck. That one is probably the worst deal of them all. And the one that needs a cultch repair looks fairly nice, but I think those can be expensive to fix. The brown truck with the plow looks ok, I didn't see nearly as much rust and it comes with the plow. That may be a good deal. Call about them and see what everyone says. Good luck to you.

P.S. I know it's a little far, but there is a guy around here that has a nice mid 90's GMC 2500 for around $3-4k. It looks like a pretty good deal. If I was in need of a starter truck, I'd definitely consider it. Maybe I'll stop and look at it today. I'll let you know what I think.

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The chevy in the last add looks like the best truck by far compared to the other trucks you posted, I noticed it has 6 lugs not 8 so if it is a 3/4 ton it would be the light duty model, they had a 6 lug 14 bolt rear end. The frame would be the most important thing to look over with these chevy's (88 & up) they were the week link.

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

You need to take of the axle to replace brakes on the 8 lugs dont you?

Brent'sLawnCare(Ill go out on a limb and assume your name is Brent?) I will not be using the truck for much heavy work. No trailer to pull. Possibly an occasional trailer on the farm or uncles boat to the lake. I have a little over $2000 saved from last year working (at a warehouse) but I dont want to spend it all on the first truck, but I can easily make more than that $2000 back this summer.

6. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I liked this one

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/610398409.html

The first guy that wants an extra 750 for that old as busted westen in nuts. I am guessing that his one of thoes guy that thinks his junk is gold, so I would not buy any thing from him. I picked the second because it is extended cab and a long bed.

7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i would recomend that 1990 chevy.

the first few fords we beat up and had 460 big blocks. great motors lot of power horrible on gas. youll be lucky to get 5mpg with that. also the one that needed a clutch. its not worth it you dont want to buy a daily driver that needs to be fixed before it is driven.

that chevy looks like your best bet. didnt look to beat up. needed a muffler though. if you got that and were interested. i have a stock chevy muffler i can hook you up with.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thanks guys. Its a bit of a drve but if I were to look, it would be the Chevy. Im off this week, so figurerd I could take the drive, but today my dads car broke down and now I cant get out there. Besides it is a good drive either way. But I would like to contact the seller.

My neighbor has a connection to a guy selling an older F-150 (my first choice) but never gets any info, Im getting tired of waiting, so Im still looking on my own.

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The chevy is the only one out of any of those trucks that I would actually buy! The rest looked like junk

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It's actually Brant, but don't worry, everyone gets it wrong. lol. Let me know what you end up with. If you aren't gonna be pulling anything, or working it hard, then I'd say any truck other than the first one would be a decent choice. Good luck.

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

A couple months ago when my freinds truck broke down he came to pick me up in his buddys F-150 and when I asked about it he said it was for sale, but they decided they still needed it. The family who owns has a few generations of mechanics, so besides a little rust, its in great shape. Well at their gas/repair station, I saw it with the for sale sign on i the otherday, and talked with them, looks like I just found my truck for $1500. Im going to take a last look at it tomorow and hopefully make the deal.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The people with the F-150, called, asked how interested I was in, I said VERY interested, Ive been in the truck, and already know its worth buying, the butthead sold it!
    Why do I have such bad luck with this!?

Oh well, theres plenty of time. Dad just could care less about me finding a vehicle, which makes it harder. I have one more in mind today, but I wont say anything:rolleyes:

13. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Because you waited...it's not back luck just bad timing! If you were as you put it "VERY" interested you should have looked at it and made the deal when you saw it, not waited til countless others saw and became interested! jmo

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Whatever you do make sure you look over the truck really good and maybe even have a mechanic look at it. I bought the 2nd truck i test drove and i had a $400 repair bill the VERY next day. I bought it because it had a very clean body and i wanted it really bad. From here on out when i buy a truck i am taking my time and finding one thats not full of problems. there are lots of trucks for sale out there especially as gas prices continue to rise.

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Very good point ABES, i've noticed more and more trucks for sale lately that the owner puts in their ads "Cant afford the gas", which is great for us guys that are looking.:D

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I wouldnt buy the 1st one just because its a 2wd
    The second one looks like it has a nice freshened up motor in it but the rest of the truck looks to have a lot of miles on it and will probly be one headache after another.

How much are you looking to spend? I found a really nice 98 K2500 on craigslist for 4 grand which is a hell of a good deal considering last year i bought my 99 K2500 for $7700 and this 98 has fewer miles and is an extended cab.

18. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well I wont be doing any plowing, so the 2wd isnt my BIGGEST concern, but it also doesnt look like a work truck, but looks like it would get the job done.

The second one, is somewhere between good deal and major headache, and I just wanted some other opinions.

Again, the orange one seems like a too good to be true thing, with only 88,000 miles.

ABES, I dont want to spend much more than $1500, because in two yrs I want to buy something new/er for plowing, for now I just want something that will haul some lawn mowers, const. lumber, and an occasional trailer.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well I saw one the otherday on my way to golf practice, and went and looked at it today. Its a 1992 F-150 5-speed, 125,000 acctual miles 4x4. Im going to look with my dad tomorrow. Their seller (private party) is asking $2,100. The only thing is, expired tabs, so its either been being driven illegally or sitting for a while, so I will give this a good look over. Its got the typical rust, but new doors. inside looks nice. Ill have more to say tomorrow.

This truck is at the same house (in the city) that had a BIG john deere tractor for sale a while ago.

20. apik1

apik1 Senior Member