1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My truck burned out...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by REELax, Jan 6, 2008.

1. REELax

REELax Junior Member
    from Sweden

Hi all from snowy Sweden,
    2nd good day into the winter weather here in Stockholm & i smelled smoke as i was plowing, stopped the truck ('94 Chevy 2500 6.5ltr TD) & checked under the hood... the right side of the firewall was on fire & way too far for an extinguisher so i grapped my stuff from the cab & got behind a wall.. Fire Dept were really quick & only the engine bay & cab were damaged (gutted).The snow-way 28v plow & snow-way 8SS sand machine were untouched but the controllers for both & wiring under the hood/in the cab are gone, my question is this, will the electrics in the box behind the plow have shorted?? the remote was plugged in but the engine was turned off as i exited the vehicle... no time to disconnect the controls as the flames were rolling up the windshield :(

What a start to my year... i've located an exact model of my truck so looks like i'll be off to buy it asap.... white gold is falling as i type this so i'm standing by for some phone calls !!!

2. REELax

REELax Junior Member
    from Sweden

I forgot...

Another question... As i'm used to Meyer plows with chains, is there a way to easily lower this plow in my situation?? it is in the up position & i want to lower it for disconnection, i seppose i can let the oil out of the ram but as i want to put it straight onto another vehicle i would like to save as much time as poss..

Thanks for any input,
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should only need the wiring harnesses that burned. up-grade to the new fuse system rather then the breaker when you replace, it's better protection.

This will take you to the index for service manuals, you should be able to find the necessary part numbers there.
  4. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Wow John, sounds like you got very lucky! Good luck!
  5. REELax

REELax Junior Member
    from Sweden

Thanks for that but i don't feel very lucky at the moment.... it'll make a good bar story later, probably next winter :cry:

My local dealer has all of my new parts in the shop so all i have to do is get the new vehicle to him & the plow & sand machine.... back in business ASAP
  6. shanta74

shanta74 Member

sorry to hear about your truck mine burned last sunday. good luck!
  7. aulen

aulen Junior Member

12V to the proper solenoid should work.
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

to get the plow down i would take a bottle jack and lift the blade up to get the tension off the chain and let the bottle jack down and use a piece of wood to get the jack out
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I dont think Snowways have chains.
  10. REELax

REELax Junior Member
    from Sweden

That's right ....... no chains, anyway, hoping to get a hand control on loan, plug it to the plow, cut the old burned power cable at the first clean section from the fire, split it & attach to jumper cables, attach to 12v & work the plow (I HOPE!!!) Off to by a new truck tomorrow....