1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my truck and a skidsteer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodge_dude, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dodge_dude

dodge_dude Member
    from canada

This is going to be my first year doing commercial snow plowing and just got a case 410 skidsteer. Now I don't know if my truck could handle all the weight of the trailer with he skidsteer in the rear and plow in the front. My truck is a baby dodge 1500. What do you guys think I should use the plow or the skidsteer??

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am kind of confused about your question. I would tow the skidsteer to the site and leave it all winter. Your truck should not be doing commercial account to begin with nor should it tow a skidsteer and trailer. You should not even attempt to tow and have the plow on at the sametime. Your truck life is going to be very short if you plan on doing all this with a 1/2 ton.:dizzy:

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How big is your trailer?
    Does your trailer have brakes?

This is to much weight for your 1/2 ton truck, especially on snow covered roads.

Now, for the 3' lift. How did you accomplish this?
    Did you use springs from a after market kit, blocks, add a leaf?

Lift kits give you more lift and a softer ride with more travel, this is not good for a work/plow truck.
    Because, there softer than your stock springs your truck will sag more from the added weight of the plow and trailer.

Sell the 1/2 ton as it is to small for your needs.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

yeah, i think everyone is right a 1500 is a little light to be pulling around a 8500 lb skidloader, especially in a storm. we always drive our loader around to each job, just make sure you have cab, heat, radio, and a 2 speed and you'll be fine.

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would say drive it there b4 a storm unload get the trailer out of there and then go...hope your only doing one commerical lot thats what we do with our cat we will take it there b4 the storm and b4 the plows are on...we have two out there and they stay on site...we use them most of the time when its nto snowing so once the snow clears we get them outta there...GOOD LUCK