1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My transmission guy is clueless SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

OK so i am looking for ANY bit of help here. Last week i was snow plowing with my truck (2000 Ford F-350 4x4 diesel). When i went to leave the parking lot the truck wont shift from 2 to 3rd gear. so i pulled over and restarted the truck to see if that helped, it did nothing, i then brought the truck to a friend who is a mechanic, he looked it over and used his scan tool, the found a couple of codes related to the transmission. He then suggested that i bring it to a transmission shop becuase he didnt have alot of time to look at it more indepth. He said he tought it was something simple but we would know untill he pulled the pan. I then brought it to a tranmission shop who a friend recomended. The guy said he would call me a day or so, she he tells me that he found a lot of metal in the pan and i would need a complete rebuid, costing around $2200, I said of do it i need that the truck for work, so i got the truck back and drove it for 3 days and it started doing the same thing as i brought it in for. I called him and he said to get it to him right away. I had it towed to his shop. He called me and said when the truck got there it was fine and it shifted good. so i was frustered i told him to look it over agfain and to call me. He called me the next day and said one of the values looked like it may be sticking so he fixed, and i got the truck back... Now today i started plowing and it started shifting funny when the temp was around 150 degrees so when it after that it wouldnt shift from 2 to 3rd like before. I then called the guy and told him and he didnt know what to say, he is lost and im really frustered. So im asking for any help or suggestions, if any one is a tranny guy or knows someone i can pick there brain. I just dont want to have to give to truck to another tranmoission guy and pay again. So any Help would be wonderful, im desprate.

:confused:
    Thanks
    Bob Haak
    585 303 4813

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 94 F150 had a E4OD tranny in it and it did the same thing, it went from 1st to 2nd ok but 2nd to 3rd seemed to hesitate until the rpms were up to 4k then bang! it went into 3rd grear, it went in for a total overhaul and he said there are electronic packs of some kind in there and one of them went bad. My guess is he didnt replace them. I asked for all of the old parts back so I could look at them. Also I found on my scan tool the vehicle speed sensor was bad and if I remember right that too cause this to shift funny.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have him drop the pan again, and see if there is more shavings in the pan again. It is highly likely that he didn't get all the junk out and he may be rebuilding your tranny again for you if he didn't. Assuming he gave you some kind of warranty.

Did he flush the system? There are some conflicting opionions on getting all the crap out of the cooler or having to replace the cooler.

What all was replaced\rebuilt? Did he replace the TC as well? Could be crap caught in there as well.

4. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Hey i had almost the same problem on my ford when i had a new trans put in. Turns out there are solenoids in the trans and my ford dealer pinched a wire putting the trans back together mine was the over drive solenoid so it would not shift in to OD. Have him check those for a bad one or pinched wire hope this helps.wesport

5. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Man this sucks I know the feeling about having to take it to another shop and pay again. I learned my lesson any truck with transmission or engine problems goes right to the manufacture for work.

I went through this with my 97 and ended up one week short of a year later having ford put in a transmission it cost me another 3K but it at least came with a 3 year 36K warranty.

6. Mark Oomkes

I absolutely disagree with your first statement. If you are having issues with a relatively new transmission, don't bring it back to the dealer, because they install the same junk that is giving you the problem as well as not removing all the slop in a tranny that causes problems. I have a '94 Dodge that went through a tranny a year until I had a Jasper installed, yeah a Jasper. The dealer rebuilt every single one up until that point and there was at least 1 storm a year that left me hanging.

I have 2 Torqshifts, 1 had the so-called updated snap ring. Little over a year later, guess what happened. The so-called updated snap ring let loose again and I was without a truck for 2 weeks in the middle of winter.

Find a good shop, have them take the time to fix the trannsmission properly, including removing all the factory tolerances that cause problems in transmissions. I get 3/36 even in a plow truck from my shop. And they do a far superior job compared to anything that comes out of a dealer.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Trans problem and Dodge - Never heard that before xysport

8. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Mark I have never had any luck with transmission shops. Maybe you have a good mechanic I don't know but I have put transmissions in five trucks over the years. 2 of those trucks a 97 F350 and a 89 3500 Chevy Suburban I put 2 in. All were done at transmission shops and not one ever drove like it should from that point on. Not one of them lasted much more then a year and not one of those shops would fix the problem under their so called warranty. These were not plow trucks either. They pulled trailers in the summer. Maybe I have just had bad luck but in my experience the only trans I have had done that turned out ok was the 2nd trans put in the F-350 at Badger Ford in Wisconsin. All they work on are trucks F-350's and up to semi's. Maybe I wouldn't have had as good of results with a regular dealer I don't know. I had it back the next day and it drove perfectly until the day I sold it 3 years later.

I am not trying to start an argument but this is just my experience with transmission shops and not one of them turned out good.

9. EIB

EIB Senior Member

10. Mark Oomkes

WHatever. Have you tried reading comprehension? Some people have gotten upset with me for using large type, so I'll go with a different color and see if that helps.

Have you ever checked out the Dodge forums? Have you ever hear of John DiMartino? He readily admits Dodge trannies can be junk right fromt the factory, some good, some bad. And if anyone knows Dodges and trucks, he does. He's a member here, check out some of his posts, maybe you'll learn something.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Color blind people may have a hard time seeing the green tex..:waving: :D

12. Mark Oomkes

Up yours, buddy. :p :D

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

uuuuuuuh, sarcasm my friend. I myself have lived through a hellish dodge trans problem before. I went to chevy and have had zero trans problems ever since.

"Reading Comprehension" who were you talking about again......

14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I must agree with EIB, I have a BTS in my Ford and my Dodge is going to get a Goerend Bros.
    For diesel applications see below.
    Ford trannies;
    BTS, Suncoast, or John Wood Automotive.
    Dodge trannies;
    Suncoast, or Goerend Bro.
    GM;
    Suncoast

15. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Does your trans shop have a scanner that can check the electrical components in it. I see all to often shops will recommend a full rebuild instead of fixing the actual problem.

16. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Bob did you get this fixed ? I am in Rochester as well , what shop did you use ?? I happen to know a few tranny shop owners..I will give ya a call..

17. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

That's the best place for a Ford rebuild on a superduty. I know many guys having hos trannies and no issues.

18. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Well there is a guy from Orange County NY area who drove his truck out to BTS to get it done right.. so I would say that says a lot about Brian and BTS trannys... it was something like 15 or 18 hours one way..

19. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

If I had a SD and needed a tranny, that's where I would go!

20. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If the thought of driving to FL or AR for a trans is too far to go. I know both BTS and Suncoast will ship their transmissions to your door or the trans shop of your choice. Personally I would do the trans r/r myself.