1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My town got caught with their......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flake Chaser, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Pants down today. I passed town garage at 6am and only one truck in it. None of the roads had seen a plow either. Should be no problem with 2 foreman in this little town :dizzy:. Don't know what time it stopped snowing but it was early early this morning. I just laughed as I went by.
  2. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

ya my town was out Early

EPPSLLC Senior Member

I went out to salt at 5 am this morning to get my roads salted before the church crowd . . . EVERY SINGLE parking lot was covered with about a half inch . .. I can't wait to get my plow on and my stickers on my truck these local guys are slippin and I'm gonna put em out!!!
  4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

what town are you talking about ??
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Our city guys didnt get in until about 3 am the roads were pretty bad by then. None of the trucks had plows on so they went out spreading sand then came back in hooked up the plows and went back out to scrape the routes
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My town had a guy that never got out on time and and his trucks wer brocken down all the time.
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Last night my GF woke me up at 12:30 PM to tell me to run out of the house ASAP so I could rescue her just a couple hundred feet away in her Pilot that was sliding down our extremely steep road that hadn't been sanded yet.She was smack right in the middle of the road, paralyzed with fear,not good,thank god it was late and no one else was coming down the hill because I doubt very much if they could have avoided a collision with her.I managed to get it to the bottom safely, but it was hairy.Called the cops who said they were calling the hiway dep't,but 30 minutes later on the return,still nothing.Town of Lake Carmel,NY.
  8. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Marlborough. Maybe they figured it was Sunday and not a lot of traffic early AM :confused: but I say they definitely blew it.
  9. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

Yeah, after 2 cars in ditches this morning, they finally got out and salted roads around here.
  10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Yeah my township really sucks at maintaining my road, which is always horrible. Well, unfortunately some guy wrecked last night, about 100yds down the road from my house. The road was never touched by the road crews, and he slid over a 30'+ embankment, bled for over 2 hours trapped in his car while they tried to rescue him and died. Hopefully the township will now maybe realize they need to get off their a$$ and do something.

At the time of the accident it was about 7pm, 90% of all the other roads were wet black pavement by this point, and I was done with my route heading home when I came across the accident. It such a shame about the car accident that could have been easily avoided.
  11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

wow thats sad
  12. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

i,m not trying to cause an uproar here but, before we all jump to conclusion that the highway dept was negligent...people crash in the summer too, on dry roads..

theres such a thing as slowing down when its slippery or wet..most highway depts cant protect people from themselves
  13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I agree 100% about driving according to the conditions, and that a lot of people don't do it. The guy may have been speeding, I don't know. However, maybe I didn't make it clear enough about the ignorance of the road crew. I think that 6-12 hours after the snowfall occurs and the road hasn't been touched is negligent. How about 2 days? I guess thats alright too. There are many times my road goes untouched for 1-2 days. Oh and for the record, my road is less than three miles from the township building. :)