1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My tires suck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The stock tires that came with my Chevy are terrible. 4wd and all 4 wheels where spinning just trying to get out of my own driveway! I had a feeling they where going to be this bad because they slip in the rain as well. Guess I'll be buying tires sooner then I wanted to...

2. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

chevy tires

i know exactly what your problem is....... You Bought a Chevy.:nono: just playing around with yah... is it a new truckk... good luck wit it... happy plowing:drinkup: :drinkup:

3. JTW

JTW Senior Member

because for some reason they like to use car tires as OEM on TRUCKS!

4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

:D Funny!:D

You might want to check your inflation. It should be written on your driver's door post. Sounds like you're a little high. Even so, rear tire spinning on new trucks is pretty common. The rear end is pretty light and with today's engines it doesn't take much to spin 'em. If you get new tires keep them skinny and simple. The fatter and funkier the tread the less grip.:nod:

5. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

No, he's right. They SUCK. Unless it's dry pavement, they SUCK. I replaced mine at 12k, and they were worn and useless. I got stuck in my own backyard driving on the lawn in 4WD.

I bought my tires on Ebay. $200.00 delivered brand new to my door, shipping included. I paid 40 to have them mounted. They are really nice M+S tires, and the only time I've been stuck with them is when I got hung up on my old plow frame.

Get rid of them. Other than that, you're Chevy should be fine, as long as you don't need to replace your clutch fan. I'm now on my third.

-K

6. gstar

gstar Junior Member

had same problem with stock tires slipping on wet pavement. got them siped and now they're just fine. look into it

7. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Had the same problem on thanksgiving. I got so pissed I went down on friday and had a set of Cooper M+S put on. I LOVE THEM!!!! I have so much traction. I cant wait to push some real snow:salute: .
    Thanks
    James

8. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I wasn't impressed with my OEM tires. Unfortunately they were all that were available. I did go 3 (plowing) seasons and 28K on them before getting some Pirelli Scorpions from Tire Rack. Jury's out on them...:)

9. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Elm is right snow and ice tires should be skinny with snow thread, The world rally race cars in the rally sweden use skinny tires with huge thread:: and studs. Rally sweden has the fastest average speed. 90 MPH. Wide tires are used on tarmac and gravel. :nod:

10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Dude,

THAT AIN"T RIGHT:gunsfiring:

small.jpg

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Can't be any worse than the Continentals on all the Fords. I test drove a F350 and man are they fun to spin. No grip whatsoever.

12. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I have had great luck with Toyo Open Country A/T's, excellent traction even on packed snow, and wearing well with 25k on them and 50% left. I Have also had good luck with Bridgestone Duelers plowing, but they only lasted 12k. You want to look for a softer compound tire for better traction, and forign asian/korian silicone based rubber has it all over conventional rubber

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

this is an old thread!!...but...good time to bring it back up!

14. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I thought the same thing too... but figured at least it's keeping us busy and out of trouble rehashing it all :drinkup:

15. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

The tires that came on my 05 F250 are horrible in the snow. Pirelli Scorpions. Great in the dry and even the rain but I just don't get why they would install then on a truck with a plow prep package.

16. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

The absolute best tires that I have ever run are Goodyear Workhorse Extra-Grip
    I tried to buy a set recently for one of my pick-ups and was told that they are not available because Goodyear is still on strike. Hopefully that ends soon because the OE Bridgestones are terrible.

Jason

17. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Kumho has a nice A/T, reasonable...

Try the tire Rack they have the Kumho A/T's that have gotten excellent reviews at a very good price....
    I used to be a name brand guy till I tried a set of Kumho's and I'll never pay a premium price again!!!!
    Another good inexpensive purpose built tire both good in the wet and the snow/ice is the Winterforce, I believe made by Firestone.I had those and they like to dig for traction and are good in the wet also...They are ready to stud if you so desire.....They make truck sizes and load ratings.
    To be fair I have run Goodyears and Michelins($$$) in the past.They where good tires but for the price there are many as good or better but less expensive tires out there.

18. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

Just swapped out the original tires on my 05 GMC.
    17k on them plenty of tread but zero traction. Junk tires.:angry:

Bought a set of Cooper M&S, now I dont need 4wd to get out of my driveway now.xysport

19. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

COOPER Tires have some of the best actual user ratings.

Go to some of the tire distributors sites and check out the user ratings & comments.

We no longer buy goodyear tires....COOPERS all around for us xysport

20. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I have Michelin XCX/APT's on my 92 Yukon and I have always had good luck with them, great traction in all conditions they look good, and I got 50k out of the last set, I am on my second.
    I am putting a plow on it, so we will see how that goes.

On my '02 Yukon, I have Firestones on it, but I am not sure if I am going to put the same thing back on. I am going to try a set of Centramatics to make a better than Caddilac ride.

Jason

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007