1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Tach Has Fallen And It Won't Get Up...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by richardgilmore, Dec 29, 2004.

1. richardgilmore

richardgilmore Junior Member

Can anyone help......I have a 2001 F-350 5.4 ..about a year ago I experienced battery failure and my tach went all the way around to the right and sat at the bottom. I made an appointment at the dealer to have It fixed but a couple days later I look down and I has worked fine ever since....until I experienced another voltage drop again ( I guess) when my plow solenoid malfunctioned.. that was two days ago....does anyone know how to reboot a tach.....any Input would be appreciated...Thanks ...Dick Gilmore

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Disconnect the battery to reset the computer?

Or try this. With the key off press and hold the trip button on the panel. While holding the button down, turn the ignition on without starting. Hold it until the dash goes into its diagnostic procedures. The first thing it does (well on a F150 anyway) is a guage check. All the needles will top out and all the lights will come on. They return to normal in a second. If your tach does not respond to it, then you have to take it to the dealer.

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

BTW - if you press the trip button again it will cycle through other diagnostics such as trouble codes, oil pressure readings, temp, digital tach etc. Basically a bunch of data that is read by the computer is accessable via the led mileage display. Most of it is in code though. The codes can be found at a bunch of different Ford websites.

4. richardgilmore

richardgilmore Junior Member

Hey Crash

I will try disconnecting the battery..But I don't have a digital odometer...my trip meter is the old fashion kind....but maybe the battery disconnect will work.but now that I think about IT when I replaced my battery last time the tach did'nt bounce back for a couple days...HMMMMMMM.....