1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my story and some new toys-pics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 25, 2004.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

my plow for my Dodge is still in ohio, GREAT just when we get 24" in 24 hrs, my plow is not here.... started snowing early Wednesday morning, quit Thursday morning... Tuesday evening my 42" snowblower on my 17hp Exmark TTHP was mounted and working flawlessly. Wed. am it would not start- water in fuel froze up and too cold to pull start (no electric start yet but do have a rebuilt motor w/electric start for it)... great.... so me and a couple guys go shovel 4 of my driveways. the rest can wait... wed. afternoon i went plowing with a buddy, he has 2 chevy 4x4 3/4 tons with plows... snowed too fast to keep up with it and we were only on the commercial lots... what a nightmare... we got stuck right and left. Thursday 3 am we tried to get to his house to sleep a little as we just kept gettin the trucks stuck getting to the jobs and since the jobs were too deep to bust an initial pass. well he lives in town on a side street that hadn't been plowed (city plows were not doing much at this point for some dumb reason or another, i was told they were all taking their vacation days now as they had to use them before the new year). We got both trucks stuck twice trying to get into his driveway. one of them we just left it for the morning as it was mostly in the drive... got it unstuck in the morning and got stuck half a block away at the end of his street turning onto another side street, which was only a block away from the main road which was clear..... tried to plow the one street with the other truck enough to get the other one unstuck, but got it stuck too. One of the guys working with us is a farmer and lives 10 miles or so from town. He went home Wednesday around 10 pm or so as he'd been out all day plowing. Thursday morning he got out around 6 or 7, found a barn collapsed on his equipment and worked to get it out, then pulled a backhoe on a trailer behind a huge Ford Genesis tractor, rear duals and front wheel assist... brought that rig all the way into town and set a guy on the backhoe busting into the lots so we could plow them... he took off to pull out the one truck across the main road which was a block from home, the other truck was stuck 7 blocks down where we were trying to plow a path to the other one (long story to that too actually but i'll spare you). So the one truck was freed and started to work in that parking lot, then they came to get me in the Ford Genesis tractor, but the guy who's house i was stuck in front of was pulling me out with a huge old lifted suburban. so as i drove toward the parking lot to start plowing, i see the guy in the Ford tractor pulling out a 10 wheeler city dump/plow truck that was stuck... lots of them were getting stuck on the side streets... so many stranded people out that had no business being out. how aggravating... anyway an hour into that parking lot, the guy i was working for said to clear out, i found out they were only willing to pay $15/hr less than our price (per truck/tractor).... so we left in the middle of the job- that was a one time emergency job call, somehow they didn't agree on price beforehand or it was a misunderstanding... i don't know. anyhow while we were messing around with that one, the people across town at big red liquors got impatient and found someone else to do their lot so we were really angry at this point needless to say... pretty much called it quits for the day, can't get anywhere cuz the city hadn't plowed any side streets or roads to the industrial parks where we had to plow the lots... so just had to wait it out... yesterday they got more work done on it and still had 20 residentials untouched through the storm. he said he was taking off for christmas and get some rest no matter what and if i wanted to do his residentials that would be just great with him... so i went and bought a new Toro Power Max 6000 snowblower, 26" 2 stage, 7hp 2 cycle, 6 spds foward 2 reverse, joystick chute control and electric start. nice unit. one of 3 left in town. ran me $1270 after tax, ouch... but with his 20 drives and my 12, it would be paid for quickly then i could go door to door for milk money jobs easy money. people will pay anything to get out of the house i found out! had to go all the way across town to get the snowblower and as you know everyone was out shopping and doing whatever last minute so it took forever to get there and back... 20 minutes of assembly and it was going, played in my driveway and it was getting pretty dark. this morning i borrowed a buddy's portable LP gas space heater, got the 42" 17HP Exmark TTHP snowblower into the garage and cranked the heat up while eating lunch. went back out and it started but ran rough from the water in the system. drained it all out and replaced fuel with HEET additive (fuel line antifreeze and water remover) and we're good to go.. got to try it out for the first time and man that thing eats like a herd of pigs! so this afternoon and evening, my bro, dad and i went out and did some of my and my buddy's drives with me on my big blower, dad on the new Toro and my bro on a shovel for steps and such... works great very effecient and capable setup. I love the little Toro but i really love the big Exmark, it being so heavy it scrapes much cleaner and being dual hydro drive and very heavy, you don't have to manhandle it quite as much except when traction is bad like on ice. it is a real beast. the best part is i only have $50 into the snowblower attachment and it did not take much modification at all to make it fit. I would have made the snowblower unit fit much closer to the drive unit, but i was trying to save money using the belt that came on it since it was practically new (bought the whole unit for $50 almost new). what a sweet outfit!!! here's some action pics...sorry no pics of plowin in the trucks... too much of a hurry to stop for anything.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So what your trying to say is, :bluebounc you Had fun!!!!!!
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

wow that was a long thread but good reading. if you break it up alittle it will be eaiser on peoples eyes.
    bet you will make some $$ from that storm. :) have any more pics.
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

atleast you arent the only person that had to buy a blower, I ended up buying the track drive blower from lowes troybilt 33" wide 12 hp

but like you said they paid for themselves, I like the blower on the tthp :D :drinkup: I am going to convert a old 36" bunton I have into a blower with a old 2 stage 46" garden tractor blower I have floating around :cool:
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

How much snow was already down by the time you started plowing with the trucks and getting stuck (wed afternoon)? I understand getting stuck when the streets aren't getting plowed. Could you have kept one truck on the key accounts from earlier on and tried to keep up with the snow? Man, it's hard to keep up with it when it comes down that fast but it can be done.

As an after thought, what would you change and do differently if you were calling the shots and it happened again. Did you have enough ballast in your trucks? Just curious and not trying to find fault. We can all learn from each others experience. I've made it through tough ones like that but never where the city has not kept up there end of it. That's a shame it worked out that way and hopefully the customers will understand, due to the severity of it.
  6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

whats the status on the truck/plow eric?
  7. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

that blower on the exmark is sweet, want to convert one of my old walkbehinds but it is a belt so it would just be a waste of time
  8. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

is that exmark now a dedicated blower or can it be converted back to a mower?
    I ask because I have seen plows for some walk behinds but i have never seen a blower.