1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Snowblower Setup

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by locallawncare.c, Feb 15, 2013.

1. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

My simple yet effective 2wd truck with 2 snowblowers, 2 gas cans, salt bucket, 2 bins full of bagged salt for traction and walkways, and a custom made ramp. Also pictures of the Bed-Step. Everything is self secured and the tailgate goes up with no straps to hold anything in place, works great. The two stage is held in place by a notch in the wood that lines up with the skid plates on the blower. Hope this is useful to someone, lol.

2. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

One more of bedstep

3. golfstud88

golfstud88 Member

Looks good! Very creative!
  4. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Very good use of the space. I like the not having to use straps part.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats nice that you don't NEED straps to hold the blowers in Im' guessing if you ever get a DOT inspection the officer won't be to impressed. Or if you were to get into a crash and one of those were to go flying out of the truck.
  6. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

Those are good point thanks, I have straps but in the winter its a PITA, I've seen lots of people with way sketchier setups than me, but thanks for input. That would be something to see a blower flying through the air, atleast the backrack will protect me.
  7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking set up
  8. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

Thanks its my first year in business, I used to plow for another comany years ago, strictly residential small driveways which was a pain it the butt, so when I started out I stuck to snow blowing, its stress free and you never run out of room for snow.
  9. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

alot of people like snow blowing better than plowing
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It's cool you have everything nested in to not have to strap things down, as cool as it is it's a risk. Building from what you have and adding a steel bar that spans the top of the blower head that's pinned on each end would be keep the blowers from flying out from crash impact.
    The handle bars on the Ariens blower hang over the side of the bed pretty far,can you rotate it 180degrees?

Not to nit pick, just giving some feedback.:nod:
  11. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

It could rotate, but I built a frame over the rear tires for traction, so it just fits sideways as it is, the bars don't really have too far off the side, the pictures exaggerates it. I like the steel bar idea though. I only snow blow locally and only have the blowers when I'm out blowing, I just like being able to quickly load/unload thus reducing my service time, which is key. My truck is 2wd with 8ft bed so weight over the tires is a must in the snow. I'm all about safety so I will look into a way to quickly secure them, but when your houses are 2min apart, I dunno. You see all kinds of hillbillies out there with all kinds of stuff haning from their trucks with nothing secured. Thanks for the input.
  12. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

Simple & efficient, nice set up.
  13. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Nice, I love the ramps, can you take a picture of the ramps on the tailgate? how far do they stick out? I'm planning on getting a larger snowthrower next year and looking for ideas.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I see where your coming from, maybe I just paranoid or had a couple close calls. Say for instance you slide off the road, you miss the tree with the truck but the handle bars don't. you just trashed your blower and probably the tailgate The same can be said for another vehicle.Just food for thought.Thumbs Up
  15. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

Mine, sorta the same concept :)
  16. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

No straps might be quicker but what happens in a crash. At least a rachet strap or two would make a negelance suit less easy . Please no bungy cords.
  17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Handlebar is pretty high, the other vehicle would have to be a box truck. However, I too would make some extra effort to have it fully contained within the truck's footprint.

I also agree on the straps. I do understand the worth of not having to fool around with straps. I wouldn't strap it for a short, low-speed ride to the next job, but for a longer or faster ride something decent ought to be done. However, ratchet straps are often a pain, especially when it's cold and snowing out.

Can anyone think of anything better, maybe some kind of quick-release buckle? Maybe a bar or plank that snaps into place like the safety bar on a roller coaster? It could hinge at the backrack and hook at the tailgate. I suppose a ratchet strap system that mounts to the bed rail like the ones used on flatbeds could be reasonable.
  18. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

Yeah, I could easily have a ratchet strap across the back stake pocket, that would secure the 2 stage and then go across the single stage to the other side stake pocket, Could be easily unhooked and rehooked provided it not frozen. Most of time I only bring the Toro, but sometimes both. As for the handles on the 2 stage they stick out about as far as the mirror on the truck, maybe 1 inch past, if I had tow mirrors it would be inside that dimension for sure. I'll take a pic of the ramp for MWSAI, and come up with a ratchet system and then post the pics.
  19. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i love the step. did you make it or buy it?
  20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I always use the simple cargo straps that u just pull to tighten. Bungy cords are illegal here in NJ and racheting straps are just a major peta!