1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Snow Way Experience.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by swim, Dec 14, 2005.

1. swim

swim Junior Member

Hi All,

Thought I would pass on some hard earned wisdom. I recently replaced the Western snow plow I had for 7 years with a snow way 9' x 32" plow due to the down pressure feature and lighter weight. This was the worst 4500.00 mistake I have ever made. I was told the plow would mount on my 2005 GMC 2500hd with minor facia trimming. Wrong!!! You have to butcher the whole front end of the lower facia and the truck ends up looking like a total abortion. I called Snow Way after the dealer mounted the plow and informed me that the truck would have to be cut up to mount the blade and the said "ya, any plastic is fair game there is nothing we can do about it." That seemed like a pretty sad attitude when cutting up a 40K truck. I got my next surprise when I got the blade home and the angle cylinder was drooling oil all over the place. I got that replaced and after using it for 10 hours an o-ring blew on an oil seal and the blade became inoperable.
    In the 7 years I owned my western I never missed a day of plowing due to mechanical problems. With snow way I have missed 2 days in 2 weeks needless to say my customers don't want any more excuses and If I have another failure I will have to take my lumps sell the snow way and go back to western. Just thought this might help others avoid my mistake Snow way has been of absolutely no help.

Good Luck in '06 All

JJB

2. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

SWIM,

I have read your post and am very concerned over your experience. I have contacted the Sno-Way District Sales Manager for Illinois as well as our Vice President of Sales and Marketing so that they can look into your situation further. While of no consolation to you, your experience is certainly not the norm.

Before accepting my current position with Sno-Way over three years ago, I did a considerable amount of research on the company, Sno-Way products, and the products offered by competitors. My research consisted of talking to Sno-Way customers and dealers. It also included speaking with numerous users and dealers of our competitors products. I was then and am still convinced that Sno-Way offers the best product line in the industry. The industry has certainly taken notice of our products too as our sales have grown at a rate that is considerably higher than the average growth in the industry. Are we perfect, unfortunately not. We do have the occasional problem such as you have experienced. However, I can assure you that every plow manufacturer in the industry has occasional problems. But we do care when a customer has a problem and work very hard to remedy problems as they do occur.

It is important that we be able to communicate to you. If you would send me a private message, including contact information, I would like to forward it to your Sno-Way District Sales Manager as well as our Management group so that they may contact you personally to discuss your concerns.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've had mine since '97 on a K3500 Chevy. Plowing big commercial accounts and public roads. Only had one piston leak in all that time. The other westerns that plow for the company break down all the time.

As for the plastic I hear everyone complaining about that - regardless of plow.

None the less you sound like you got a lemon - let us know how sno-way delt with you after rhkfwain replied to you. I would be curious as I am up to buying a new truck and plow next year and I was considering a sno-way V-plow.

4. I would think that the way the facia has to be cut is mostly due to the design of the truck not plow maker and hopefully they told you that they would have to cut it. The mounts I'd guess are designed around the frame and it's built to be the strongest possible. If a little plastic gets in the way because it's too low (the front end of a silverado is lower than my ranger!) it's gotta be cut. You can't build a mount to hang down below the plastic if it's going to compromise the structural integrity. Mine had to be cut but only a very little and you can't even see it. My dealer told me about it first but I already knew it had to be done and yes, I was worried about what it would look like. I've seen silverado's driving around here with the valance removed so they didn't have to cut it. Just my $0.02 though!! Sorry to hear about what happened and good luck on getting things resolved.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I can understand your misery.....but I have had nothing but great service from my Snoway for the last 3 years.....

Let Snoway get you straightened out and I bet you will be pleased.....

Good Luck.....

I will be buying another when I replace my vehicle...

Hey Rick Knuth....how about a dealer in the Dayton, Ohio area........that would be great!!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

sno-way

I plowed for years with curtis and fisher before making the jump to sno-way. Im pushing a 9' ht with a 14500 # gvw dump on all commercial lots, i find the product to be rugged,fast,durable & reliable. You just happened to get a lemon, and i can tell you from experience in the field and on the net, very few lemons come out of the sno-way plant! Hang in there, in a few storms down the road you will have a much different opinion about sno-way.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have to agree with others; kind of sounds like you unfortunately got a lemon.

I'm in my third year with an MT90 (steel moldboard) and have had zero problems; have not had to replace or adjust anything. Of course I've now just jinxed myself.

8. beungood

beungood Member

Snow way in Mass

Where in Mass did you buy your Snoway Plow? Do you know of any good dealers? I am in Braintree,mA

Jack

9. Seamus

Seamus Member

MA Sno-way dealer

Jack
    You should try Allens Auto Trim in Peabody. They are a great bunch of guys and gave me the best price of the other places that I checked. Go to the Sno-way link on this sight and look under dealers.
    Seamus

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your installer is not very good. We have installed this same plow set up on at least 8 2500HD trucks this season and have not had to cut one fascia. if the mount is set at the lowest position and you have your torsion bars cracked up on that vehicle as the General always sets them super soft (for that great ride for the 60 some % that never see a days work.)
    Your Angle ram should be a warranty item, (2 years on hyd.) the o ring, thats weird, I've been installing these units for at least a decade and have not had one with that problem, again it should be warranty. Call SnoWay they are very good about customer support. I personally have been pushing a v blade for the past 10 years and love it to death. I was using Western and had to replace front end parts regularly, no more. also I have (knock on wood) never lost a minute's time because of the plows failure to perform.
    Call Snoway, See your dealer, this is uncommon for the plow. normally they are the snow pushing Bomb. They kick every bodies butt.

11. swim

swim Junior Member

You are right my installer may not have been any good but Steve at the snowway help dept was no better since he is the one who told me extensive cutting was needed and all plastic was fair game. He told me the snowway reps had the same trucks and the had to cut all of them up and since they were leased vehicles they has to buy new valances when the returned them,
    so your installer is better than the factory.

Thanks

12. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

I was a beta evaluator for that plow and consider it to be among the best plows I have ever used.

It sounds like the dealer may have missed the cylinder issue during setup and testing. I know Rick Knuth well and am quite certain he will help you resolve the issue.

As for the valence, to get the proper attack angle on that truck, almost any plow mount will require some valence cutting. I am at a loss to understand why this matters. SnoWay has less stuff hanging on the truck than most, and the new mount isn't particularly obnoxious. If appearance is a big deal during the off season, put a cover or bra over it.Your grousing is misdirected - should be at GM not the plow manufacturer, if at anyone at all......

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your installer was trying to give you as much ground clearance as possible with out raising the torsion bars. Would you have been happy with 7" of clearance? We send vehicles out with 7 and 8 inches of ground clearance and instructions to have the torsion bars cranked up about an inch and a half. No cutting the fascia but you have to spend 75/100 bucks to have the torsion bars adjusted and the front end realigned.

14. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Getting a 26 7'6" installed on Monday!

I will be getting a sno-way 26 series plow installed on my Ford F-150 on Monday. I am going with sno-way for many reasons. The fact the they are ISO 9002:2000, says allot to me. I've just been thou the ISO 9002:2000 certification with my company and know it's not easy to get ISO certifications.

As far as having to cut some plastic off the lower air dam, that's not a big deal, if I need too, I'll just remove it. I don't think there will be a problem as my Ford has allot of ground Clarence.

I am getting the Poly with down pressure and wireless controller. that is another reason I am going with Sno-Way!

I'll get pic's post next week and let you know how things go.

15. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Swim

Basher is correct. The factory installed my last plow prior to my picking it up. They did cut the valance some but you hardly notice it when the plow is off the truck. They did a good job. However, on my previous truck (2005 2500HD) I installed the plow and did not cut the lower valance at all. I gave up a little ground clearance (1/2" to 1"). When the plow was raised, it pushed the valance up a little but did not damage it. We do say in our application guide that modification to the facia will be necessary and it is up to the dealer to tell you that prior to the installation. As mentioned in an earlier post, I need for you to send me a private message with your contact information so that the Sno-Way DSM in your area can contact you to discuss your issues. We do not like having unhappy customers and take feedback very seriously, but we do need a way to contact you to sit down and discuss your issues. As for your other hydraulic issues, we occasionally have problems, it is unfortunate but true. Just look at the posts in the other forums, it appears that every manufacturer has the occasional problem. Besides your valance issue and since you have the two hydraulic problems resolved, how is the plow working for you? I'll anxiously await your private message so that we are able to contact you! We can only help those that want to be helped!

16. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

He may not be able to PM you Rick, not enough posts.

17. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Swim

If you are unable to send me a private message, you can reach me at:

rick.knuth@snoway.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

18. snatchal

snatchal Member

I have 2 friends with the same plow. both on chevys. they work great.I wish i had the down pressure on my boss. take the valance off and store it away for when you sell the truck. higher ground clearance is way more important than a piece of useless plastic.go plow.