1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My snow machines

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here's my truck and sidewalk/tight driveway machine....

Truck- 1977 Dodge W200 Crew Cab Short Bed 3/4 ton 4x4 360, 727 auto trans, NP203 full time t-case, Dana 60 rear and 44HD front axles with 4.10 gears, and a Meyer C8.5 with E60 pump. I got it with the plow already installed, previous owner only had it on the truck one winter, the moldboard/A-frame assembly is 10 years old (in very good shape for the age) and all of the truck side stuff is 3 years old he said. I've completely remodeled the interior, took out the old ratty stuff that was a mix of house carpet many moons ago and mismatched seats, etc.. I repaired, resealed and undercoated the floorboards, installed new carpet and padding, installed a custom built center console, leather captain's chairs out of a conversion van, and recovered the original rear bench seat in leather to match the captain's chairs. I removed the in-cab tank and installed an RCI 17 gallon aluminum fuel cell in the bed. I installed 5" MTX 6000 series speakers and tweeters in the front doors, and Rockford Fosgate 6x9's under the rear seat, as well as an 800W Sony Xplod amp pumping a 10" Kicker Comp sub in the center console. I fitted the console with a 7" Flip out DVD/FM/CD/MP3 receiver unit, and I installed a 7" drop down overhead monitor as well. The center console is equipped with a 400W dual outlet power inverter, 6 12V power outlets (3 up front, 3 for the rear passengers) and 4 cupholders. I built a custom removable laptop mount to hold my HP Pavilion DV9000. I installed a Cobra 75 CB (all controls are built into the microphone) with weather station on it. I gave the engine a full tune-up and upgraded the ignition system, installed headers, and tweaked it a little bit. It already had an Edelbrock intake,600 CFM 4 barrel carb and cam on the recently rebuilt 360. I put 2" add a leafs in the front, and installed a set of 34x10.50 Super Swamper TSL LTB tires. The windows were tinted 15% (it is my daily driver and i cannot stand driving a fishbowl) Since I have extra rear windows and they are easy to swap out, I have an untinted one in it for the winter for extra rear visibility. Then I decided to build a light rack/headache rack hybrid out of some extra steel I had laying around. Next I acquired the hood, cowl, core support and grill from a '92 and swapped all that stuff over for a newer look. Any hardcore Dodge guru will know its a 70's truck from the body lines and taillights (they discontinued the crew cabs in '85, 4 years before the Cummins Powered Ram was introduced, what a shame... this one will recieve a 12V CTD powerplant in the near future).

I think thats about the extent of my modifications to the truck so far LOL I replaced a well aged angle hose on the plow, the markers and repainted the cutting edge.

The tractor is a 1992 Wheel Horse 520H, 20hp Onan, hydrostatic drive, over 1,000 hrs on the meter when it quit 8-10 years ago (can't really remember) the engine is still spotless, no smoke no leaks, starts and runs perfect. I have and probably always will be a big Kawasaki fan (Kohlers are OK but I will have a Kaw first anyday) but this Onan has always impressed me! Just tonight I got bored and modified a Craftsman 46" single stage thrower to fit on the tractor. I would have put it on the front, but the PTO would have driven the thrower the wrong direction, and I may add a blade up front one day anyhow. I used to have an Exmark Turf Tracer HP 17hp V-twin Kawasaki walk behind that i removed the deck chassis in winter and installed this thrower on it (modified thrower frame) and it was mind blowing when I used it in a 3' blizzard we had, it would handle 3' drifts with several inches of ice in them at a walking speed, and I could bust out driveways in 10-15 minutes when trucks couldn't even think about doing them (nowhere to stack the snow, IF the truck could even push that much). This unit probably won't get used much, we use a single stage push snowthrower for sidewalks that is normally your best bet around here, but if we get over 6" or blizzard storm, the Wheel Horse may get brought out to play. I will probably use it at home as my driveway has a tight circle the truck can't maneuver, and in deep storms will use to clear a path for my dog to run and between her area and the house. I still need to dial in a couple little things on it, but its pretty much ready to work.

On with the pics, sorry I was bored and figured if these machines interest you enough to look at them you probably want to know more about them too... I would rather build something than buy it... I get way too bored in the winter and prefer to have something unique.
    Thanks for looking!
    -Eric

1228091512.jpg

1225091403.jpg

1228092330.jpg

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Thats some old iron

3. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Great equipment

Hello Got to love the older real gear. I would love a Dodge like that and driving backwards on a tractor is second nature. Did the reverse thing for several season.

4. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

My friend had the same thing and swapped a cummins into it whicked cool truck..

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Love that Dodge. I had a 1987 Sno-Commander with a 8ft. Western, was one of my favorite plow trucks! Good Luck this year.

6. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

That truck will last longer than anything else you could buy new these days..... And if anything does happen you can actually fix it.

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

More pics of the truck. I wanna see the inside:nod:

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks guys, yea so far the truck has outlived anything made since then ;) LOL I plan to restore it from the frame up one of these days probably after it gets a Cummins swap...

So I got more bored tonight and put some lights on the little tractor AKA "The Drift King" (when this thrower was on my Turf Tracer, it handled 3' drifts like they were nothin) yes they are all ran into a relay with a fused power source! The only thing I have left to do is to add a trailer plug on back of the tractor for these light wires so they can be unhooked quickly with the unit. So far no money out of pocket on this project everything was stuff I had laying around (I don't throw away anything). There's one light mounted to show the area you're backing into, and another mounted to the chute to light the path of the exhausted snow. I also sanded all the rust off the back of the seat and repainted it, it was gettin real bad... This tractor came with the house my parents bought in March of '99, the homeowners had bought it new with a 48" mower deck and a 36" rear mount rototiller that we used to use all the time back when mom's health was good she kept a 4,000 sq. ft. vegetable garden (alot of freezing and canning happened here). We mowed the 2 acres with the tractor until I started my lawn business and the mower deck got retired. Now I no longer have my business and the tractor is back to work on a regular basis around here.

I will have to get some more/better pics of the truck tomorrow the ones I have of the inside suck and it was really cluttered alot of crap in there... So tune in tomorrow for the next installment of "Trick My PlowTruck" LOL

Thanks for looking.
    -Eric

1229092055.jpg

1224090901.jpg

1225091358.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  9. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

That truck looks like a beast. Can't wait to see the inside.

10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Finally the long awaited pics...

1230091453.jpg

1230091433.jpg

1230091434a.jpg

1230091433a.jpg

1230091435.jpg

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

The switches in the dash (where factory intended for a radio to be) are for the rack lights. You can also see the CB in this pic. It has a "brain box" that plugs into power, antenna and mic and the brain box is VERY small, its mounted in the center console. All the controls are on the mic. A small external speaker is mounted in the console as well. Works great I love this thing. The other pic on top of the dash is radar detector and Magellan widescreen GPS.

1230091431 (1).jpg

1230091434.jpg

1230091426.jpg

1230091432.jpg

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

BTT for those that wanted the pics....
    thanks
    Eric