1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my sidewalk helper (homemade)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RLCUTTERS, Dec 16, 2010.

1. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

this is what is use for sidewalks and driveways when it snows 5 inches or less ....i dont have plow i use this and snowblower ...this in my opinion is faster than a snowblower by a long shot.....i know is not a good homemade but if it works and is productive and reliable is good enough for me

1216101346-00.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Have you actually used it yet? I can't see the belt drive working well at all when it gets wet

3. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

yeah i used it before...my 2 year using it...and it pushes a good amount of snow with no problem......it doesnt do good with regular belts but it does awesome with V belts.....i will try to make a video on my next storm

4. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Yea i could imagine you will have some slippage in the winter... Id say its a good starting point or prototype. Maybe down the road you could fab up a metal blade for it... Im pretty sure they already make and seln those tho... Id be interested in seeing in in action... Dependimg on your ingenuity you could maye a way for it tob pivot... Like 3 positions even... Left, straight, and right...

Edit: oh and how wide is the "blade"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Very nice.

I love people who think. Most people say they hate sidewalks. This guy just thinks of a solution.

I'd hire him. Now make a Vee Plow version and see if it's faster. Put some rubber on the bottom or something. Lol!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Cool idea. I bet it would be unstoppable with a hydro......especially with chains.

7. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I was just thinking vee also...

So u kno ull more than likely hAve a few people give u a hard time about it... But just ignore it...

8. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

thanks....i will try to make a vee version for my other mower and try them side by side

9. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Looks great. Beats the h*ll out of a shovel. I agree with the afore mentioned V model, it would probably work better in a wet heavy snow.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm impressed, never thought about the V-belt's being better than the regular mower ones. What in them makes a difference? Ive tried to mess around with my one belt WB mower in the snow before and within five mins there was enough moisture on the belts to cause immobilizing slippage! My hydro's are a lot of fun to mess around with in the snow....especially on hills :)

11. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

they just grip better with the v cut belt.....

12. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I did the same thing with a mower a while back. My problem was going over cracks and rubber wasn't helping much so I fixed two push brooms to the bottom of the blade and it worked even better than just the blade!

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go 2 the parts store and get belt dressing she will never slip again

14. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

no belt slippage at all...it did with a regular belts but not with the v belts....the blade is 48 inches wide

15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

It sure does. Who cares what you used? Are the sidewalks clear? Yup. Job well done.

Any sulky action going on with that beast?

16. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Heres mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

that is awesome....i like it alot...do you like the productivity? ...is that a hydro? sweet

18. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

looks grat. as long as its saving you time and making you money its well worth it no matter what others say

19. lawnscapes2

lawnscapes2 Junior Member
    from zone 5

Genius...simole as that!!