1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My screwed up brine maker . . . . .

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Okay here is the deal, we made a brine maker today (well part of one) This is how we thought it would work:

We have one 300 gal stock holding tank we pump water into the bottom. The stock tank is filled half way with bagged rock salt. as the water reaches the drain (over the salt) toward the top of the tank it flows into a pipe that holds it into a trash can as a pump transfers it into a 1650 holding tank on the other side of the shop.

Problem is were just making some test batches before we make the set up to pump into the holding tank and were reading off the scales. Our Hydrometer is reading WAY off the scale.

What are we doing wrong? why is it so strong?

Thanks

- Eric

Picture 011.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Picture 012.jpg

3. Vaughn Schultz

Picture 013.jpg

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bathtub Gin is still illegal.

Since I have no idea I throw my 2 cents in. Can't you put the drain at the bottom and have the water leach down?

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Looks like you know what your doing LOL

even if the end result is wrong

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey i dont know much about making brine homeaid, but what is it currently reading , too much salt , or not enought?

if its too much , thats good, all you do then is add water to your test batch i would think

if its not enought salt, then i would turn down your water flow , and possibly consider putting some type of strean nozzle on it , to break down the salt faster, i think PJ said he used a power washer in a 55 gal drum possibly? or some one told me that

7. Vaughn Schultz

Its reading WAY to much salt, Im thinking ill just add water. This thing cranks out brine, I should be able to fill my 1650gal holding tank in no time.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol, as fasre as i know , you just add water,

you should try it with your bulk.... save even more money ....

id be interested to know wha tthe cost per gal comes too?

Im not sure - would you maybe need to take only the top few inches of brine on the second bucket you have? let it pour through another pipe so larger sediment might sink to the bottom? were are you taking samples from?

common sense would say, its better to have a stronger salt mix, becasue adding water is easy , adding more salt if its weak isnt -

9. Vaughn Schultz

Bags are easy in the shop I orders the bags early and only paid low three's for them. Bulk is out side in a bin. I should have this thing finished in a day or two :D

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

cant wait to see how it goes - lets us know on that cost per gal part too -

11. Vaughn Schultz

will do :salute:

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Cant wait to hear how well it works come winter also. What Hydrometer # are you shooting for?

13. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Looks great. Very similar to mine. I don't think you have too much salt in the brine as it is impossible. The saturation point is 23%. The specific gravity is 1.210 Another way to double check is the amount of salt you have used. There is 2.3 lbs of salt in 1 US gal of water.

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

You got concentration (23.3%) on just running water through salt once??
    It must be your salt.? Basically I do the same thing, but from the top of the tank it gravity flows into an 1100 gallon tank. I have to recirculate it back through the bottom of the stock tank (with a pump) for about 6-7 hours before the 1100 gallons is at 23.3%.

15. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Very nice. I am trying to learn about this, what do you do with the brine in the holding tank?? Do you ever have to circulate it, does the salt eventually settle to the bottom? this brine operation really fascinates me?? Sorry for all the questions??

16. Vaughn Schultz

Look what I got today . . .. . .

Picture 014.jpg

17. Vaughn Schultz

two more . . .

Picture 015.jpg

18. Vaughn Schultz

last one one . . . 1650 gal

Picture 016.jpg

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

is that a holding tank for your other brine maker?

20. Vaughn Schultz

yes sir, soon we will run pipe strait out of that trash can, up into the air, across the shop ceiling :eek: and into the tank ;)

that way its out of our way and can run by its self.

In fact its making brine right now as I play on plowsite :drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008