1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My salt loading set-up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Nov 9, 2015.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

When i started 4yrs. ago i used bags in a tailgate salter, then got salt from a local distributor loading in the bed of the truck. Last year i purchased a v box and loaded it using 5gal. buckets (which i don't want to do again), this past spring i picked up a grain elevator for $125.00, put wheels on it and replaced the motor, which put me at $325.00 total in the elevator. Harbor freight had their 10' x 17' tarp sheds on sale for $158.00 so i bought it to store my salt in and figured if it only lasts a couple years i'm still ahead. I know it's not fancy but i wanted to share.
    Thanks for looking and if you have any constructive comments or ideas feel free to share.
    Mike

phone.pics.023.jpg

2. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Thank you for posting this I woke this morning thinking how i would load a vboxx. this made my day

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

So you shovel into the elevator which dumps into the vbox?

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

yes, it takes about 20 minutes.

5. jhall22guitar

Guessing by the size of the pile you only have to do it once per storm?

6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

usually yes. If i had to do it several times per storm i would have a bucket loader of some sort and a much bigger salt pile. I go through about 60 ton per winter. As the business grows so will the equipment.

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Mike, awesome setup man. We were looking at the exact same thing until we found a great deal on a older, well taken care of Case skid steer that we grabbed of CL a month ago.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Nice way to solve your growing pains. Keep it up.

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Cheap way to solve the growing pains, thought of doing same thing years ago but took to big of a step from tailgate spreading to bulk spreading.

Look for a tractor of some sort, the little 40hp generally will hold 1000# in the bucket - would beat the heck out of shoveling - you'll get old fast.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

what about using an auger to load?

11. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

That's good thinking. I have a customer (a very large turkey and grain operation) that just redid all their conveyors in their elevator and the old conveyor belts are just laying on a pallet. IDK if they have any plans for them. But that's something to think about.

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I can't see why an auger wouldn't work.

13. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

If i could find a front loader cheap i would jump on it but that doesn't happen here very often.

14. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i had that issue with the town not wanting me to put a shed up because we are on a major road. so i bought these.

http://www.bagcorp.com/media/video/bottom-lift-low-pro™-super-sack®-container

i have 60 of them filled and stacked, forklift picks them up, trucks backs under the bags, pull the draw string and the bag empties.

to fill them we dump the salt pile onto the driveway, then load the sander with a skid steer and spin the salt into the bag. works pretty well if you cant put a shed up.

15. jhall22guitar

That sounds like a pain in the a$$ though. Especially since you have to load the sander twice basically to get the job done once. :(

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You must be in shape. My back hurts just thinking about it. Only once ever did 3 of us shovel a V box full and it almost killed me. :drinkup:

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I guess you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully you don't use much salt

18. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

What about pouring a cement pad, laying some mafia blocks and covering it with a tarp. Then just un-cover the pile and load the spreader, this way you only handle it once instead of three times.
    Eventually i will pour a pad, lay some block and put the tarp shed on the block to cover it.

19. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Not in shape just determined.

20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I used to have to load my friend's v salter with the bagged cma product for a 3m coated cement parking lot he did. Don't miss those days @ all!