1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My S-10 plow rig

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Beachernaut, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I'm starting the 3rd season with this plow, but I changed rigs last year. Even though I've been through 2 winters with the plow, there's been very little snow to plow.
    I originally installed the plow on my 1995 S-10 Jimmy, but it developed rear end trouble, so the plow was transfered to my 2002 S-10 Blazer. Luckily all of the mount hardware, and wiring was exactly the same.

2 days ago we got about 2" of snow, and then the wind started. Yesterday morning I opened the road out of our subdivision. The 2' by 50' drift across the road was new so it was nice and fluffy. 3 or 4 passes pretty much cleared it. Last night after work I made the rounds and cleared 5 neighbors that were drifted in. Most had 2or 3 foot drifts blocking or covering their driveways.

I'm well aware that my little Homesteader and Blazer are very light duty, but I'm more than happy with their performance. My only complaint is snow coming up over the plow and covering the lights and windshield. I'm looking for some rubber to use as a deflector on top.

The first pic is from the original installation on my 95 Jimmy, and the others are from last night. I didn't get many pictures because it was cold outside, but figured I'd share what I had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed a 22" snow storm in Jan of 99 with a 96 S-10 and a snowway
    I had good tires, ballast and it plowed everything I needed to.
    Just drove it careful and I never got it stuck.

3. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Hehehehe... If I had the extra coin, there'd be a Snowway on the front.

The 2007/08 winter was pretty heavy and after putting a lot of time in on my previous plow rig, I decided to upgrade to something bigger, and we didn't get much the following 2 years. I'm hoping for a heavier year. This is my old plow rig.

[​IMG]

4. tjslider

tjslider Member

Looks like its working for you.

A deflector will make a huge difference.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

looks good...i just bought my first plow so this winter will be my first plowing

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I started out plowing in a ranger with a 6.5" Meyers on it and took my time and made lots of money. Take it easy and you will be fine

7. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Thanks guys. I don't make any money doing this. I ask for gas money, and everyone usually throws in a little extra for snacks, maintenance, etc. Before I got this storms usually involved 3 or 4 of us beating our ATV's against the drifts. This is much warmer and faster.

I've thought about going into business doing drive ways, but if I break down I have no spare. I don't want to make commitments that I may not be able to keep.

I've been thinking about putting a back blade on it, but don't want to hang much more weight on the front, so for now I just deal with repeat back draging.

8. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

have you thought of a setup like Meyer DrivePro... It's a residential plow, but built very very solid like a commercial unit. i have the 6'8" on my wrangler and love it.

Best of luck this winter!

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Thanks for posting the pics and info about the S-10.

I'm thinking about adding a plow to my 01, S-10 for a couple of tight areas I plow.

Good to know it works good.

10. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

For the last few years I was "in business". I had a 1989 Chevy with a snowbear on it, and that was my only plow. I only took on i think 6 driveways at most at a time. I broke down last year and was able to use a snow blower to stand to my commitment to my customers. Did it suck? ya very much so, but it kept the customers happy. Just an idea for if your wanting to start it as a business, there are always ways to get around a breakdown, but just hope it doesn't happen... Just my 2 cents

11. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Actually I hadn't. Looks good other than weight. I'd be a little leary to hang more weight off my Blazer. I could and probably not have a problem, but I'd rather go to a bigger rig with more weight.

I wouldn't blame you if you're using the setup in your sig.

Besides it interfering with my primary income, I don't know if it'd be worth it to me. Besides, people around here are very cheap.

12. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

x2
    I only have 11 driveways, and I always have my Ariens snowblower as a back up, only had to resort to that once. Gotta do what you gotta do!

That is a nice rig for sure, I run a 89 Cummins with an 8.5' plow on the front, and there have been a few times where I sure wished I kept my old jeep and put a plow on that.

13. BMB Plowing

BMB Plowing Senior Member

exact same thing happened to me. Plowed with my 94' Bronco and it broke down on me, pretty bad. Had to finish the year with a snowblower and a small pickup. Learned my lesson and gonna take my time next time around when I get back into it.

14. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

I see alot of people have had the same problems I have... Hope this year goes better, got a different truck W meyers plow, and the snowbear will be on my backup truck.... Also got my JD 420 garden tractor and snowblower if luck runs out that bad. Hope everyone has a great season

Check out my rigs
    http://server6.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=111119

15. piperpm

piperpm Member

We run about 10 residential drives on average throughout the winter and take our time with our F-150 4x4 ... the plow is plenty heavy for back dragging and the 5.4L offers plenty of pushing power ... some guys ask if we would want to run something bigger and I actually think NO WAY our rig does us well! Wishing every one of the "little guys" a great plowing season