1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Rig, strange but effective!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow patrol, Dec 10, 2001.

1. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Hi guys,

I've been looking at some of the plow truck PICs you guys have posted. Some great looking trucks! Thought I would share a couple of PICs of one of my rigs. Its a Mitsubishi Fuso 4x4 cab-over. I use it durring the summer for maintence work (I'll post a PIC of the truck the way it looks set up for summer) then I remove the bodies, mount the V-box and hook up the V-plow. Looks strange but it has great visibility becouse its a cab-over. It can carry plenty of salt (8' V-box spreader with 18" extended sides). And its still a relitively compact truck, just under 20' front to back plus the length of the plow. Let me know what you think.

mitsu (4x4)1.jpg
  2. snow patrol

I have to post the pics seperatly as this is the only way I now how.

mitsu (4x4)2.jpg
  3. snow patrol

third pic

mitsu (4x4)4.jpg
  4. snow patrol

Last pic

mitsu (4x4)5.jpg
  5. snow patrol

here is a pic of the truck with the summer setup. The box in front also dumps to the side (see lower pic) and it has a swing down gate at the rear to load equipment. Like I said, looks strange but works good!

mitsu dump.jpg
  6. northeast

northeast Junior Member

looks like it would work great for large open areas,like shopping malls. nick
  7. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I'm a local contractor and run a cab/over Isuzu NPR HD, made a attempt at plowing with this truck for 2 years but failed after spending a lot of time and money. It is 2 wheel drive which makes a huge difference- now it is just a salter with a 10' V box.

Would you buy another cab over 4x4(like you have) again?
    It looks like a very nice truck - not to mention the self contained lawn maintenance concept...... I like it!

Who fabricates that dump box?

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I know a contractor that uses a Mitsu cab over 2wd to plow and sand. With a good amount of weight in the back it will do a fine job in parking lots. He uses Ford 4x4s for driveways though.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

it looks like it would work good
  10. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice set up, I think the mitch are nice trucks but to much coin for me.
  11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Guido - couldn't resist! ;)

Snow Patrol - might look a little "strange" but if it's practical, so what? Sounds like a good setup from your description. As far as manouverability goes, I'm betting it will turn tighter than any pickup of comparable length. GVW-wise, would that truck be equivalent to an F550?

Swapping bodies for the winter season isn't that "strange" an idea, although around my area it's usually seen on the bigger (Class 7 & 8) trucks that see municipal/highway plowing service.
  12. snow patrol

Chicago Snow,

When I designed the body configuration I put alot of thought into how the truck would be used and to make the most of the truck the whole year round. This is the biggest reason I desided to go with the Mitsu 4x4 cab-over. The setup has worked great so far and to answer your question, yes, I would have no problem with buying another cab-over (I have 2). But it would definetly have to be a 4x4 if I intended to use it for plowing. 4x4 is the only way to go for pushing snow, regardless of the type of truck.

13. snow patrol

Yes, the turning radious on this truck is very tight and the visibility is excellent. It works great in parking lots but I don't know how well it would be for driveways. I have a Ford 550 4x4 also. And as far as GVW's go, the 550 carries more weight. By the way, I run a 10' Western Pro plow and that is definetly the way to go on the 550.

14. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

You got the cats Meow!!!

Just what I been wanting for christmas!:D
  15. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Snow Patrol nice looking set up do u think you could post some pics of your 550 to? Is that a hinker v blade?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2001

Snow Patrol. Wha kind of V-Plow is that on your truck?
  17. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Would you be able to refer me to the body company that built your truck? Not to mention the costs involved.

Mitsu.....only cab over w/4x4? In what respect is the F-550 better/worse than this Mitso?(outside of weight capacity and turning radius) Had problems with my Isuzu frame not being able to withstand(thin steel?)a Meyer 8' poly plow.

Can you remove the box from your truck with a 773 as an example?

I think I saw a picture of a truck(yours?) at Russo's?

Thanks for the information!

18. snow patrol

Well guys, some of you have asked what kind of blade I am running on the truck, I was affraid of that. Yes, its a Hiniker. I have been very disappointed with it and I will never buy another one!
  19. snow patrol

Boss Adam,

I dont have the plow on the 550 yet as we have lhad spring like weather here in Chicago (so far) I will post a pic as soon as I take one with the blade on. By the way I seen your set up, NICE! What year is that Dodge? I have a 96' with the Cummings Diesle. the power train has been great but I have had lots of trouble with the front end and even more problems with the brakes. How has yours held up?
  20. snow patrol

Hey Joe (Chicago Snow),

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I know you've been waiting to hear from me with some answers. As far as I know Mitsubishi is the only make of 4x4 cab-over. And as far a comparing the Mitsu 4x4 with the 550 4x4 go's, They are not in the same league. The 550 is a much heavier truck. The gvw on the Mitsu is about 12,000 and the 550 is rated at 17,500. You have to match the truck to the work it will be doing. I use the 550 on the construction division to haul pavers, stone, trailer w/ bobcat, ect. To much truck for maintenace work. As far a pushing snow goes, I try to use the 550 in larger lots. The motor (power train) is a monster and won't hesitate moving a mountain of snow. The Mitsu will push a lot of snow also and does it efficiently but I would compare it more to a Ford 350/ Chevy 1 ton as far as capability goes. Again the strong selling point on the Mitsu is that it is a cab-over which makes it compact, It comes with a diesel at the same price as a ford/chevy gas power train, Great warranty and reliability.
    Removing the body with a 773 is what I do. What works well too is using camper jacks. Just park the truck were you want the body to be, jack the for corners up and pull the truck out from under the body. The bodies, manufacured and installed run about $12,000.00 to $13,500.00 but that also depends on how big a body(ies) you want and the features you want. Email me for info on body company as I am not sure I am allowed to post it here, marcoanemone@aol.com.