1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my review of my own western setup

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kwegman003, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I have been plowing for 3 years(Sealing driveways in the summer is my main deal). I bought a new(to me) 97 f350 this year and needed to decide on a plow setup to install. I came here for many reviews and pros and cons. Being in college on a limited budget I bought a conventional 7.5 western with a back blade for $500. I thank myself every day for this choice. I was looking at uni/ultra mounts that were $2000/$3500. My plow pushes the same snow as the more expensive units. They may be nice, but I will take the $1500-$3000 in the bank rather than a new model plow. To anyone considering what plow to buy, I strongly recommend a conventional cable mount system if you are interested in moving snow.

To those of you with nice setups, no insult to your plow, I just cant complain about the price/performance of mine.

Another thing not related to westerns, I saved about $5000 in buying a 97(older body) rather than a 99 f350. It handles snow great, and I strongly recommend a 1 ton over the 3/4 I have used the past two years. nothing better than being up ontop of a pile, and backing out with ease!

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

congrats on your purchase however ,if you have a newer truck they do not make any mounts for the truck other than ultra mount.The unimounts have been discontinued and the cable pumps are known as obsolete.After 25 years in the snow and ice biz I started with meyer, then got a western cable ,then a unimount and finally a ultra mount and can say that I would never go back in time. The newer modles are faster,parts are readily available and I like the way my truck looks without anything in front of the grill when not plowing.That being said, you should get years of service from your setup and have fun plowing.

3. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I 100 percent agree that the ultra mounts are great, I just wanted to let people know who were in positions like me, that an older setup will push snow at a cheaper price(if you can locate one that fits your truck, good point).

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You can thank the goverment for uni-mounts, ultra-mounts, MM2, ect. They don't wan't any head gear sticking out of the front of the truck.We had a customer get in an accident with a plow and kill someone, if that plow setup is not suppose to be on that truck, be careful. The accident reconstruction officer went over everything we did to that truck with a fine tooth comb. Hopefully there is no wrongful death lawsuit.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I laugh when I see how far plows have come.

AROUND THESE PARTS:

Guys with conventional mounts, most of them leave the plow on all winter long

Guys with uni-mount, their blades come off when there is no snow in the next weeks forcast.

Guys with ultra-mounts, come home from plowing, un-hook the blade and head to the bar, even if there is snow in the forcast that night.

I understand what you are saying, but when things become obsolite, parts are hard to come by. Ex: go to the local auto parts store and ask for a part for a 1999 Chevy Truck, then ask for a part for at 1951 Chevy Truck.
    Dealers can't stock everything, as somthing gets outdated, the parts get fazed out.

6. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Whats wrong with coming home and unhooking my ultra-mount and heading to the bar when it is going to snow??? :drinkup:

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL I agree 100%

We have been running myers since 1995 and alot of times we keep them on the trucks so we dont have to unhook them. If we run the truck alot were take them off if there is no snow for a week or something.

But My 2001 F250 has a Fisher MM on it. I take it off when I done for the day, hell I'll take it off if it dosent snow enought to push and I only have to salt.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

No a dang thing, I wish I could join in that, I just have to park on the street because my truck & blade makes my truck to long to manuver in the sh*tty bar parking lots out here. The way I look at it, It isn't always about getting it into the spot, I look at getting out. :drinkup: :drinkup: