1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My pump is gushing fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ned5485, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

So, I disassembled the whole power unit to clean out all the guck. I replaced all the filters and just got it all back together. Tried to raise the lift arm and fluid is pouring out of a little hole on the front. It is an E-47 and just below the motor, in the pump housing, there is a hole. When I try to raise or angle the plow, the fluid comes pouring out.

Any idea what I have done? Or what part I lost/forgot to reinstall? To make things a little worse, it has just started to SNOW. Its just supposed to be flurries, but all the same. Any suggestions?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is a seal on the gear pump shaft that's pressed into the top of the pump. It's located between the pump and the motor. That's why it's leaking out of the small hole under your motor. If you pull the motor off and look in the top of the pump where the shaft protrudes from the pump,you'll see the seal.
  3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

meyer web site

Go to the Meyerproducts web site. There is a PDF file there that shows how your pump works. It is for free. The complete service manual. Great documentation to have for your unit and it is free.
  4. ned5485

ned5485 Member

Thanks again B&B,
    I ended up finding an old thread where the guy had a pic of the hole with the same problem. I ordered a new pump shaft seal.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help:salute: When your in there changing the seal, check the pump shaft where the seal ride's for any scoring or corrosion that could damage the new seal after you install it.
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I just did something similar to this on my E60. There was fluid coming from between the motor and the pump. Needless to say, it was that little seal. I took an o-ring and just stuffed it on the shaft tight against the other seal. Stopped the leak and works fine.